Author Topic: Jeremiah Kerrisk and Johanna O'Mara  (Read 6905 times)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Kerrisk and Johanna O'Mara
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have done a good deal of research on the Kerrisk families of Dromore and Gortalassa- my line is that of Patrick Kerrisk and Anne Harrington. Patrick was one of what is thought to be five brothers but never proven living in Dromore. Jeremiah was one of those five. A few years ago there was somebody else from Australia inquiring about John and I searched the parish registers (at the time the records were not online)  and could not find him.
However it seems most probable that John is the son of Jeremiah and Johanna Mara Kerrisk of Dromore.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline molie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 03:14 GMT (UK) »
ah...gee Shane!  I hadn't looked too closely at the dates.  I was just very excited to see the same parents for all these children as my gg grandfather.  I know he came from around Farranfore and this Jeremiah and Johanna just fitted so nicely.  Perhaps John, my g grandfather was not really good with dates? 

It may help if I could find Jeremiah and Johanna's marriage.  John was married twice in Qld.  1st marriage certificate states his mother as Johanna O'Mara.  2nd one states Mary Maher.  She came from Mountscott, Clare on both certificates.  Perhaps I should look for their marriage there around 1830's?

What do you think?  Thanks for your interest
Molie
Kerrisk from Dromore, Kerry Ireland
Catherine Theresa Mulllins, born 1862 Mountscott, Clare Ireland
Mary Mahoney, born Ballyporeen Tipperary 1850
Bird, Devon England
Ryan from Limerick Ireland
Graves (Greaves)from Dublin

Offline molie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annclare
Thank you for your reply.  I think you replied to my sister a few years ago when she was doing some work on the family.  Unfortunately I was too busy at the time to follow up your lead.  I am so pleased to have made contact with you.
As you can see from Shane's reply, there no seems to be some doubt as to whether John belongs to this family because of the dates.  It is strange that all the other children's baptisms are registered - just no John!  How frustrating.
I will try looking at records around Mountscott, Clare.

Will keep you informed.
Molie
Bird, Devon England

Offline molie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Ooops I made a mistake!  John's mother Johanna Mara did not come from "Mountscott" Clare.  It was John's first wife that came from there.  However I can't find Mountscott anyway.  Wonder if that should have been Mountshannon?
However that is not helping find where Jerrimiah and Johanna were married. 
Sorry for the confusion.  I will look in adjoining parishes.

Molie 
Bird, Devon England

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I would think it was likely that your John was a child of the family you found at Dromore, or at least connected to them in some way. Otherwise the chances of him coming up with the correct names for the couple, in the right area, and the right time would seem remote.

My guess is the age / year of birth details could be a little bit inaccurate and he was born maybe a year or two earlier. There seems to be gaps in the online baptisms for Firies (e.g. September/Oct 1856).. possibly some of the damaged sections that the NLI Index mentioned ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline molie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 November 11 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare,
I am getting a little confused with dates and names.  Could you please confirm the names of the 5 brothers and when they lived in Dromore?  I think they were:
1.  Edward & Johanna Reilly
2. John & Margaret Foley
3. Michael & Margaret Shea
4. Patrick & Ann Harrington (your gg grandparents?)
5. Jeremiah & Johanna Mara (my gg grandparents)

I believe my g grandfather John was the 2nd eldest son of Jeremiah & Johanna Mara.  From family stories there was supposed to have been another brother on the ship (the Sepia) with him.  This brother went to New Zealand.  We were told that the family name in Ireland was Healy and the brothers changed their names on the ship coming over.  However the passenger list for the Sepia only lists John Kerrisk.  There are no Healys listed so I think the stories may be a little confused!

Any other information you have on the family would be greatly appreciated.
Molie

Bird, Devon England

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 November 11 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Molie
Dates are difficult as the only sources are what parish and land records exist for this period. And the Firies parish records do not start early enough to give more details.
Yes I have identified  the same five couples as you . Patrick and Ann  Harrington Kerrisk were my great grandparents and they moved with John and Margaret Foley Kerrisk from Dromore to an adjoining townland Gortalassa about 1852 or so. The family story from these families tells that all the Kerrisk men identified were brothers and sons or grandsons  of an Edmund Kerrisk who settled in Dromore c. 1800. (Personally I am doubtful that Michael Kerrisk is closely connected ) Edmund is supposed to have been a carrier of butter from Tralee to Cork and animal meal from Cork to Tralee.  This story has a reasonable basis as the area around Castleisland and Farranfore was adjacent to the route of the Old Kerry road that ran from Killarney through the  Millstreet area to Cork and is also called the Butter Road.

While I have found a record for an Edmond Kerrisk in Dromore in  1827 (Tithe Applotments) I have been unable to confirm his place of birth. As most of the Kerrisk’s pre 1800 seem to have lived in the area around Killarney –Coolies townland  it is possible he was born there.

The Kerrisk surname is a variant of Healy that is found mainly in Kerry in the area between Killarney and Tralee. There are a number of versions as to the surname origins  – the one I favour is from Smith’s History of Kerry.
“ A branch of the family of Healy of Donoghmore near Blarney in Cork spread into Kerry and was here nicknamed Ciaruisc (Blackwater) presumably from the proximity of their original home to the river generally know in Irish as An Abha Mhór (Blackwater) …. …. there are two brothers in Kerry at present, one of whom signs himself as Kerrisk and the other Healy.”

Most Kerrisk’s who emigrated to US used the name Healy  whereas it seems those going to Australia or New Zealand kept the surname Kerrisk.  There is a researcher in New Zealand Carolyn Sarten who has done a lot of research on Kerrisks and Healys in New Zealand. Have you been in touch with her?  She may be to help with  John Kerrisk’s brother.

I have information on later generations of some of these branches but nothing much for descendants of Jeremiah and Johanna Mara. Will be glad to share what I have – it is too much to post here so if you would like it best to send me a PM with your  e-mail address.
Regards
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary