Author Topic: REDPATH Hetton House/Fowberry Chatton  (Read 1754 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
REDPATH Hetton House/Fowberry Chatton
« on: Tuesday 08 November 11 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I have been chasing the baptism of JOHN REDPATH born about 1792 for many years. In the 1851 census his birthplace is transcribed as WELDON HOUSE  which is near Brinkburn. But on re-examining the original census with the help of another Redpath researcher  I now believe this is HETTON HOUSE and I have found a baptism at Wooler West St Pres. of John son of John Ridpath and Isabel of Hetton House, Chatton in 1789. So I now have a new lead after all these years! It all makes sense as young John married a woman working at nearby Fenton before 1816. The name was very rare in the Brinkburn area.

Can anyone help with the marriage of John and Isabel REDPATH/RIDPATH  about 1788 in the Chatton/Wooler area?

I realise it may have been an irregular marriage. Their other children- Esau, Ailsy, Mary, Nanny, Walter and William were baptised at the same church between 1780 and 1798 while they lived at Fowberry mains, Fowberry New Hall and Broomy Laws as well as Hetton House.

Any baptisms, marriages or burials of members of this family could be a huge help in tracking further back. There are so many branches of Redpaths in this area I want to be sure I have the right ones and have already checked a number of registers with no luck.

The names of Esau, Ailsy and Nanny seem unusual. Do these give any clues?

Any suggestions would be most welcome!
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: REDPATH Hetton House/Fowberry Chatton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 02:09 GMT (UK) »
If the marriage was in England then at that time it would have to have taken place in the C of E parish church.  You could start by checking out Wooler and Chatton on the family search Durham Bishop's transcripts.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11898-109371-44?cc=1309819&wc=11540254#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F11539867

If not then, as you say it could have been cross-border.

Christine