Author Topic: David Kennedy - East Wemyss to Canada  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
David Kennedy - East Wemyss to Canada
« on: Friday 11 November 11 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find out something more about David Kennedy who was born in East Wemyss on 23 Mar 1899, son of the Rev John and Mrs Elizabeth Blyth Kennedy m.s. Rollo.

The entry in the "Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae" for his father shows he has issue - David, lieut, R.A.F., born 23rd March 1899. David would have been 19 when the RAF was formed from the royal Flying Corps on 1 April 1918.

I have a 'Declaration of Passenger to Canada' form dated December 1921 where David is shown accompanied by his wife Mabel (possibly Kininmonth) sailing to Canada on the S.S. 'Melita' to take up residence and train as a fruit farmer.

Did he serve in the RAF between 1918-1921? Did he come back from Canada to serve in the RAF before 1925, the year in which the "Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae" was published by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh? Did he and Mabel remain in Canada?

The list of questions is endless so any assistance here would be appreciated.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

; George Rollo, born 23rd Aug. 1901.
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Kennedy - East Wemyss to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 11 14:07 GMT (UK) »
hi chiad,

A* has following:

Name:         David Kennedy
Birth Date:  abt 1899
Port of Departure:  Montréal, Québec, Canada
Arrival Date:     18 Jun 1922
Port of Arrival:   Glasgow, Scotland
Ports of Voyage: Quebec
Ships Name:      Metagama
Shipping Line:   Canadian Pacific Line
Official Number:136791

also listed is mabel. David is down as a secretary.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
is this Davids death on SP?

KENNEDY, DAVID
mothers maiden name: ROLLO
M
KIRKCALDY / FIFE
421/00 0318

no image available but can be bought.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 11 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi diddy

Thanks for you help here.

After posting, I tried searching SP for a death for Mabel ... it's easy to get a 'female' death if she is married as there are a couple of surnames to work with ... and found a 'match' in Banff, Banffshire in 1982 so then I played about with possible years of birth and came up trumps with 1900.  It's in my folder for the next visit to Edinburgh ... now accompanied by your find for what seems to be David's death.

The Passenger List shows that they didn't/couldn't settle in Canada - I hadn't thought about checking on A* for a return passage  :-[  so I appreciate that too.

I'll pass this on to my Aussie Rollo cousin and keep plodding on.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk