Author Topic: O'Brien's of Wexford Town and Enniscorthy  (Read 11770 times)

Offline nobrien

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Brien's of Wexford Town and Enniscorthy
« on: Sunday 13 November 11 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to find out about 2 O'Brien families, one residing in St Aidans Villas Enniscorthy including Maureen O'Brien nee O'Neill, and the other Hantoon Road, Wexford Including Anastasia O'Brien, Patrick O'Brien and their daughters Mary Ellen, Elizabeth etc... I need to find out anything about them really, as i know very little of my family history and after visiting for my uncles funeral want to know more. Thanks!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: O'Brien's of Wexford Town and Enniscorthy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 11 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Can you give some idea of dates of birth or timeframe for these families ?

Please do not post details of any living people.
(If this applies any of the people mentioned, can you removed the details please)

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline nobrien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 11 16:55 GMT (UK) »
For the O'Briens of Hantoon road:

Mary Ellen O'Brien- died 21st December 1983
Patrick O'Brien- died 8th March 1963 aged 63
Anastasia O'Brien- died 13th June 1962 aged 71. She used to live on Bright Street and her maiden name was Brennan. Also had a sister called Mary Brennan who owned a sweet shop on Bright street.
These are the only 3 i could be sure of any of these details on for this side of my family.

Patrick and Anastasia are my great nan and grandad, and Mary Ellen is their daughter, they had more daughters but could not be sure how many, i know my Grandmother (their other daughter) was Elizabeth O'Brien and may have been a Delaney at one point. There may also be a daughter called Christina or Chrissy or some variation of that.

My Uncle Paddy or Patrick O'Brien was the son of Elizabeth O'Brien. He lived on Hantoon road however moved to Abbey Street later in life. He died 5th November 2011. He has other brothers and sisters however some are alive and the others i do not know the dates etc of their birth or death.

For the O'Briens of Enniscorthy:

Bridget O'Neill of 99 St Aidans Villas- 31st August 1954
Patrick O'Neill of 99 St Aidans Villas- 3rd March 1966
Maureen O'Brien of 99 St Aidans Villas- 4th September 2008
William O'Brien of Patrick Street- Died 19th December 1965

Again these are some of the only ones i could be sure of dates and adresses of residence.
Bridget and Patrick are my great nan and grandad. Maureen, their daughter is my grandmother, and her husband William is my grandfather. They have a daughter Kathleen Mills (nee O'Brien) who lived at 99 St Aidans Villas but then moved to England and got married. She Died 22nd August 2003 aged 59 but was burried back in Ireland.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 11 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to find out about 2 O'Brien families, one residing in St Aidans Villas Enniscorthy including Maureen O'Brien nee O'Neill, and the other Hantoon Road, Wexford Including Anastasia O'Brien, Patrick O'Brien and their daughters Mary Ellen, Elizabeth etc... I need to find out anything about them really, as i know very little of my family history and after visiting for my uncles funeral want to know more.

Your starting point for seeking information should be with the living relatives of your deceased Uncle - here's a few names to begin with.

http://www.rip.ie/death_notices_detail.asp?NoticeID=147798

Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline Gizzimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
Maureen O Brien was my aunt.  She had two sisters, my Mother Catherine, Josie and a half sister Cecilia, and a brother Thomas.  I have managed to trace my grandfather Patrick O Neil but can not get back further than his marriage to my grandmother Bridget Balfe.  She married twice, firstly to a man called Doyle and then to my grandfather.  I have traced her family from the 1901 and 1911 census back to about 1850.

My grandparents lived at 99 St Aidans Villas for most of their married life and I lived with them there for 5 or 6 years.

I have birth dates and, in some cases, death dates for my grandmothers family.

Offline nobrien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 June 13 17:00 BST (UK) »
Maureen O Brien was my aunt.  She had two sisters, my Mother Catherine, Josie and a half sister Cecilia, and a brother Thomas.  I have managed to trace my grandfather Patrick O Neil but can not get back further than his marriage to my grandmother Bridget Balfe.  She married twice, firstly to a man called Doyle and then to my grandfather.  I have traced her family from the 1901 and 1911 census back to about 1850.

My grandparents lived at 99 St Aidans Villas for most of their married life and I lived with them there for 5 or 6 years.

I have birth dates and, in some cases, death dates for my grandmothers family.

Hello, wow. Sorry for the late response, this hadn't had a response for so long I stopped checking. I came across this just. Wow! Maureen was my grandmother, one of her sons (I cannot mention his name as he is still alive) is my father. He lived in 99 st Aidan's villas so maybe you knew him. Are you still in contact with the family? Thank you for your reply.

Offline Gizzimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 June 13 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Like you I'd given up looking for a reply so it's great to hear from from you.  I do know your Father, even though I don't know his name, as I grew up with all my Aunt Maureen's children.  Apart from one female cousin I am not in regular touch with them although I do know where they are.  It's very difficult to given any information without using names so I don't know what to tell you.  Do you live in England or Ireland.

Offline nobrien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 June 13 04:17 BST (UK) »
I live in England although i make regular visits with my dad back home to see the family. I wonder wether it is allowed to pass further detail about your knowledge over message instead of public forum. It's took me a long time to find anything about the family as we have such a large family tree. I wasn't aware my grandmother had siblings so the family now grows further! I will speak to my dad and see what he recalls.

Offline Gizzimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 June 13 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

OK I'll wait to hear back from you when you have spoken to your Dad.  He probably knows more than me anyway as he still has contact with the family.  I'd love to know if he has any new information as I have come to a dead stop with the records on line.  Looking forward to hearing from you.