Author Topic: Nelson Family Vault,Shankhill Burying Ground  (Read 8410 times)

Offline ozranga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nelson Family Vault,Shankhill Burying Ground
« on: Monday 14 November 11 13:37 GMT (UK) »
New to the forum so please bear with me.
The Nelson family vault headstone is now in the wall of the park. It bears a tribute to the Rev Isaac Nelson (died 1888) from his sister Elizabeth who died 1891.There are photographs online but not clear enough to make out the inscription.
I have written to the Belfast city council for details of other occupants of the vault but they cannot help me.
I suspect the others include Francis, Jane,  William (d 1889) Louisa Ellen (d 1895) but would really like confirmation.
If anyone can assist I will be very grateful.

Smith, Corrigan, Hart. Walker, Mellett, Bridge, Brew , Nelson (Liverpool)
Smith, Parfrey, Corrigan, Conway, White (Cork. Ire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nelson Family Vault,Shankhill Burying Ground
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
The family burying ground of Francis Nelson, Sugarfield. The Rev. Isaac Nelson, M.P., minister of Donegall Street Presbyterian Church, who departed this life on the 7th day of March 1888.
   No more hireling to another's laws,
   Yet ne'er will I desert man's genuine rights,
   But gladly perish in fair freedom's cause,
   And when at last I rest from mortal strife,
   May silver roses o'er my ashes bloom,
   And ah may she who shared my love through life
   Shed drops of fond affection o'er my tomb.
Erected by his bereaved sister.

Will extract (www.proni.gov.uk)- "The Will of the Reverend Isaac Nelson late of Sugarfield House Shankhill-road Belfast Presbyterian Minister who died 7 March 1888 at same place was proved at Belfast by Elizabeth Nelson of Sugarfield House Belfast Spinster the sole Executrix." Copy of Will available online.
Also, "The Will of Elizabeth Nelson late of Sugarfield House Belfast Spinster who died 2 November 1891 at same place was proved at Belfast by the Reverend James Martin of Eglantown Antrim-road Presbyterian Minister and James H. Ferguson of Wilton-square North Merchant both in Belfast the Executors." Will online.

"Letters of Administration of the personal estate of William Nelson late of 12 Diamond-street Belfast Gentleman who died 13 October 1889 at same place were granted at Belfast to Louisa E. Nelson of 12 Diamond-street Belfast the Widow."
"Administration of the estate of Louisa Ellen Nelson late of 12 Diamond-street Belfast Widow who died 11 March 1895 granted at Belfast to John K. Smith Merchant."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 11 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
the link below is a tour video of the Shankill Graveyard, which shows the Nelson Headstone

jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udf11Q0dJjY
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline ozranga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much for the information.
The wills and administrations I had , the video gives me another task: to find a photo of the bust of Rev Isaac Nelson in the Church. I presume it is the Nelson Memorial Church, built after Elizabeths' death according to instructions left in her will.
 :)
Smith, Corrigan, Hart. Walker, Mellett, Bridge, Brew , Nelson (Liverpool)
Smith, Parfrey, Corrigan, Conway, White (Cork. Ire)

Offline TheStranger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 15 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Any more information on who is buried in the Nelson Family Vault ?

I am researching Nelsons in Belfast whom I feel may be related through Francis Nelson, Rev. Nelson's father.

Cheers,

Brett
Buninyong, Australia

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
DONEGALL STREET.

In 1773 Mr. James Bryson, who had formerly been minister of Lisburn, was called to the charge of what was then known as the 2nd congregation of Belfast (now Unitarian).  in 1792 a new place of worship was
erected in Donegall Street. Mr. Bryson died October 3rd, 1796, leaving a widow and family, and was
succeeded by Mr. Robert Acheson, formerly minister of Glenarm, who was installed here June 20th, 1799. He died in this charge February 21st, 1824, leaving a widow and family. The next minister was Mr. George Bellis (afterwards D.D.), who was ordained here May 24th, 1825. In 1841 Mr. Bellis, on his appointment as missionary secretary for the General Assembly, resigned the charge of the congregation, and was succeeded by Mr. Isaac Nelson, formerly minister of 1st Comber, who was installed here by the
Presbytery of Belfast, on the 31st of March, 1842. Mr. Nelson having obtained leave to retire from the active duties of the Ministry, Mr. George Magill, formerly of 2nd Donagheady, was installed here on the 9th of December, 1880.

COMBER 1st.   Mr. M'Cance, becoming infirm, demitted the charge in 1837, and the Rev. Isaac Nelson *
was ordained as his assistant, on the 27th August, 1838. In March, 1842, Mr. Nelson removed to Belfast

*The Neilsons were distinguished by their linguistic attainments, and did much to promote a knowledge of classical literature in the North of Ireland.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.