Author Topic: Leinster Regiment - Deserter Records?  (Read 5056 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Leinster Regiment - Deserter Records?
« on: Monday 14 November 11 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me please?

I'm trying to find out more about my elusive ancestor 'John St. Clair Lynch'.

A note on John's Royal Navy service records in 1914 states: 'John Staples identical with #6960 - Private John Lynch - Leinster Regiment - deserted 7 July 1906'.

He first appears in 1908 on his daughter's birth certificate. He's recorded as:

'John Sinclair Lynch'.

Between then and 1914 (when he died during the Battle of Coronel) he uses various names:

'John Staples' (his partner's maiden name, which he uses when signing up for the Navy).

'John St. Clair Styles' (on his 2nd and 3rd daughters' birth certificates).

I'm not sure where 'Styles' comes from, but when written in the old handwriting, I've noticed that it looks very similar to Staples!

Another branch of my family tree, also used the fictitious name 'St. Clair' during the same period, but they used it as a surname!

Does anyone know where I can find his Army records? I've tried The National Archives, but with no joy. They think because he deserted, they may not have been kept. Does anybody know if this is true? Or are there 'Deserter' records kept anywhere?

Family hearsay is that he had involvement with the IRA! There are stories of him faking his own death and of his sister Bridget blowing up bridges in Dublin!!

It's believed that he was born in Black Rock, Ireland. I can't find any birth record for him though, and there are several places in Ireland called Black Rock / Blackrock. If his DOB is correct on his Navy records, then he was born 24 Feb 1889.

I have no idea why he used St. Clair as a fictitious middle name! Or why another branch of the same tree, started using it for a surname, at the same time.

I can't find him on the 1901 census (England or Ireland). He's aboard a ship in the 1911 census, but that doesn't give me any more info than what I already know.

He died 1 Nov 1914 aboard HMS Good Hope, off the coast of Chile. There's a note in the HMS Good Hope case file, which says 'Contacted wife Lilian Staples - not married'. (This confirmed why I couldn't find a marriage record for them).

So, I need to find anything from 1889-1908 on John! Any help / advice will be greatly appreciated! Deserter records? IRA records???!

Kind regards,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leinster Regiment - Deserter Records?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 11 18:54 GMT (UK) »
hello,   military records
   john  staples
 (john st clair lynch)
rank  ldg sto      " i don't know what that means"
birth  24Feb 1889
birth place stoke newington London
 royal navy
killed or died as a direct result of enemy action
official number port division k.8106
death date 1 Nov 1914
ship HMS good hope
location of grave not recorded

body not recovered for burial
wife Lilian 34 cowper road stoke newington

this is how the  record appears

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen

The index to his RN record also says he was born in Stoke Newington. 'ldg sto' = Leading Stoker

His age plus the regimental number suggests he was not in the Leinsters for long. You need to look on Findmypast under the various surnames. They also have Militia records, and about one Regular in five joined the Militia first. He would have had a different number in the Militia.

Ken

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.

Yes, I have his RN records already. His wife and two youngest children were born in Stoke Newington, but he wasn't. I guess he used his wife's surname AND place of birth, when signing up for the Navy.

I don't have an account with Findmypast. I shall take a look though. Thanks Ken.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen

Strange that a man born in Ireland could pass himself off as being born in London. He must have come over when he was very young.

It will probably confuse things but the 1st Battalion of the Leinsters were in Blackdown (Sussex) for the whole of 1906. This may be the source of 'Black Rock'.

He was still 17 when he deserted. So if he was not a Boy soldier he must have lied about his age to enlist. I think you need to follow the Police Gazette route and at least discover where he deserted. The Leinster's headquarters was in Birr. An entry in the PG will give the age and place of birth he gave the army when he enlisted.

One problem is that there is no central database of PGs. 1906 does not appear to be in any of the major collections. Each police station received a copy, so you may have to contact a number of police archives to see who has kept a copy. I do not know the arrangements in 1906, but in the mid 19th Century they were issued 3-4 times a week, and each deserter was mentioned in about five consecutive issues.

Ken

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 08:59 GMT (UK) »
hi,   can i ask why is it you think he was a deserter? or have i missed something

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Doran..it is on line 4-5 of the original question.

Ken

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you Ken. I'll look into the PGs.
I too wondered if he had probably lied about his age to get into the Army.
That's interesting that the Leinsters were in Blackdown. I think I need to look into the history of the Leinsters, aswell as the PGs.
Thanks again, Glen.

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Ken,

Thanks so much. I have found the 1906 Police Gazette. It's held at the British Library and I've found John's details in the PG....

John Lynch (So, he enlisted under the right name).
Reg No: 6960
Corps: 1st Leinster Regiment
Age: 21 (I'm not sure if this is age at enlistment or probably age in 1906 - at time of desertion. Either way, this means his age doesn't match that of his Navy records. He probably bumped up his age, when enlisting with the Army. Then, perhaps gave the correct age when he joined the Navy a few years later)
Height: 5'5
Complexion: Fresh
Hair: Brn
Eyes: Blue
Trade: Labourer
Date & Place of Enlistment: 10 March 1903, Naas.
Parish & County Born: Maryboro, Queen's (now County Laois).
Date & Place of Desertion: 7 July 1906, Blackdown.

I can't find him in the Irish 1901 Census (available free online), but the PG details should help me find his birth record now.

Kind regards,
Glen.