Author Topic: Finding an address...  (Read 1330 times)

Offline mtash

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding an address...
« on: Wednesday 16 November 11 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone. I'm very new to this so apologies if this is a really basic question! I've recently found out that I currently live in the same town as my grandad was born (Chorlton in Manchester). I'd love to find out where he lived so I can go and have a look (would be funny if we lived really close). I found his birth record on Genes Reunited, but all this gives me is his mothers surname and Volume and Page (not sure what the latter 2 refer to).

How can I find out an address?

Many thanks in advance

Offline TomRees

• -
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Finding an address...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Using the info provided on District, Volume and Page you can get a copy of his Birth Cert (and address etc) online @  http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You might also find him in a later census - but of course, no guarantee he was at his Birth address ...

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 16:00 GMT (UK) »
hi,,the volume and page number are what you need if you wanted to order his birth certificate.The birth cert would give the address of the parents at the time of his birth.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mtash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys. Very useful info! Really appreciated.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Just to add,,,,if the birth reference said the district was Chorlton,,this does not mean he was born in Chorlton cum Hardy.....Chorlton as a district covers many more areas. ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline mtash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, yes Chorlton Cum Hardy

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 16:27 GMT (UK) »
As i said....if you live in Chorlton cum Hardy,,,,your grandads birth reference says Chorlton,,,,,but your grandad may have been born and lived in other areas,,,,Chorlton as mentioned on the birth reference is a district,,,not Chorlton cum hardy.

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!  As you've already seen the folk here are very helpful  :)

When was your Grandad born?  There's a chance we might be able to find his address in a baptism register or in a census.  Birth certificates cost £9.25 each (I think, been a while since I ordered one) but there's a chance we could find out for you with no charge  ;)

Have you tried asking your oldest relatives?  If you're lucky enough to have some they can provide all sorts of information that you'd never be able to find online - definitely a great place to start if you can.

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline TomRees

• -
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 16:31 GMT (UK) »
this gives me is his mothers surname and Volume and Page

Probably born post 1911/12 if MMN on Index.