Author Topic: Where was Cleveland Road?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline paulanthony262003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where was Cleveland Road?
« on: Wednesday 16 November 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I just received a copy of the 1939 national register for one of my ancestors, he was recorded living at 40 Cleveland Road Northampton, in 1939.

Does anybody know where this Road was located to please? 

Northants FHS website has a picture of the street stating that it was demolished

http://www.northants-familytree.net/northampton%20town%20street.htm

in the photo there appears to a church with two towers at the end of the road, can anyone also tell me what church this was please?

My ancestor was evacuated to Northampton from London in 1939, Were very many children evacuated to Northampton during the war? And does anyone know which school would have been the closest to Cleveland Road that he may have attended upon arrival from London?

My fingers are crossed for some answers to these queries!
Many thanks,
Paul

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Cleveland Road?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 11 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Morning Paul.

The link you have posted shows the picture is on Alan Clarke's web site
who is on my links below this post.

As is the Northants Family History Society under "Useful Northants Links".

Looking at the picture and various other items I believe it to have been
just off the Kettering Road with the Church on the corner of Alcombe Road
which still stands.

The nearest school may have been Clare Street further up the Kettering Road
near the traffic lights today.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline paulanthony262003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 11 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandy,

Thank you for your helpful reply. I think you are correct. I looked at the Alan Clarke/Northants website again and since found that they have an old map of Northampton:

http://www.northants-familytree.net/northampton%20town%20late%20victorian%20map.htm

The map indeed shows that Cleveland Road ran between Kettering Road and Wellingborough Road.  Using this map and your help, I have now been able to identify the Church on the corner of Alcombe Road as the Queensgrove Methodist Church. Maybe my ancestor worshipped there during the war.

Thank you for identifying the nearest school as Clare Street. Do you know if they took in evacuees for education during the war?

For further information the family that my evacuated ancestor was sent to live with at 30 Cleveland Road in 1938/1939 was: George Harrison, wife Emily Ruth Cooper, children Primrose and Ethel Harrison, sister-in-law Elizabeth Cooper, parents-in-law Frederick and Elizabeth Cooper.  I am hoping that someone reading this message may be a relative of this family. If so please contact me :-)

Many thanks,
Paul

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 11 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul.

I used old street directories and it told me that it was on Map H6
although I could have used Jon Small's map of Pubs in Northampton
town if I could have found it.  :)

As to evacuees I would image the school took them in.

Maybe asking the Northants Record Office if any records survive
might be something to keep in mind.

There were numerous Churches of different religions in the
centre of the Town of Northampton you are asking about.

Would he have gone to Church in Queensgrove Meth, if he was a
non-conformist then maybe yes.

All the best with linking up to the Harrison family.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline AncestryMich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 23 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, apologies I'm very late to the party on this one, but I came across your post whilst searching Kettering myself and thought I would share with you (or everyone else) what I came across recently in relation to this subject.
Having searched my grandfather whose family were all based in Islington on the 1939 census, I was surprised to come across someone who seemed identical to him but was in Kettering, Beds. It just had him down as at school, and tbh I was starting to wonder if he'd been sent off to some kind of boarding school etc... that is, until I came across this informative story posted on the BBC site https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/81/a4148381.shtml - at this point, I realised my Granddad must in fact have been an evacuee! He is listed in Cornwall Road, with a retired/elderly couple and an adult female lodger (of a different surname) I presume who was a solicitor's clerk.
From the BBC lady's story (link above) it seems most households were asked to take a child - or children - in.  My Granddad would've been 13yrs old & his brother who was 15 stayed in Islington with their father and had a job.

Anyway, hopefully someone will find that info on Kettering evacuees of use. I'd love to speak with the author Iris Roberts (Nuttgens) further about this, if anyone has any info on her please feel free to contact me. Sadly my Grandfather died when I was young, but if anyone's elderly relative that was evacuated to Kettering recalls a Vic/Victor Adams I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle

Hello everyone,

I just received a copy of the 1939 national register for one of my ancestors, he was recorded living at 40 Cleveland Road Northampton, in 1939.

Does anybody know where this Road was located to please? 

Northants FHS website has a picture of the street stating that it was demolished

http://www.northants-familytree.net/northampton%20town%20street.htm

in the photo there appears to a church with two towers at the end of the road, can anyone also tell me what church this was please?

My ancestor was evacuated to Northampton from London in 1939, Were very many children evacuated to Northampton during the war? And does anyone know which school would have been the closest to Cleveland Road that he may have attended upon arrival from London?

My fingers are crossed for some answers to these queries!
Many thanks,
Paul

Offline Katika

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 June 23 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, my father (Martin Labrum) was raised on this street. My grandfather (Kenneth Labrum) lived there. On number 34. If anyone could share any more details that would be great.

Offline bartman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 June 23 13:38 BST (UK) »
These maps are always useful - you can use the slider to switch between old and current maps https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.5&lat=52.24186&lon=-0.88578&layers=168&b=3