Author Topic: Sheen burials at Stoke Golding  (Read 3005 times)

Offline colin123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sheen burials at Stoke Golding
« on: Wednesday 16 November 11 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Would be very grateful if someone could check to see if there are any gravestones to members of the SHEEN family in the churchyard at Stoke Golding. My ancestors were :-
William SHEEN buried January 1813
Hannah SHEEN buried 1823
John SHEEN and Thomas SHEEN both buried August 1854.

Thanks

Colin123

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sheen burials at Stoke Golding
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 11 14:32 GMT (UK) »
records on National burial index 1813 -1860:

6  Mar  1823  Hannah SHEEN  91 
28 Jan   1813  William SHEEN  70 
18 Jun   1852  George SHEEN   5   
 4  Mar  1860  George  SHEEN   8m   
 5  Dec  1849  John     SHEEN   42   
 7  Aug  1854  John     SHEEN   82   
21 Apr  1854   Mary     SHEEN   69   
 2  Apr  1839  Thomas SHEEN   14   
14 Dec  1845  Thomas SHEEN   7m   
15  Mar 1848  Thomas SHEEN   8m   
 9  Aug  1854  Thomas SHEEN   74   
26 Nov   1830  William SHEEN   1+   
 5  Oct   1858   William SHEEN   3   

all Stoke Golding, St Margarets, leics
realise this doesn't mean there are gravestones... Mike?

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 11 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Greeting’s …Folks.

Quote “  realise this doesn't mean there are gravestones... Mike?

Unquote. ……..

There are 20 Sheen burials recorded 1813. ~ 87.
Including a Hannah Rose who lived at Higham on the Hill.
And  the ones we already know about

But has my good friend Diddy pointed out the Headstones might not be there
and seeing the modern policy is to remove headstones in order to mow the grass then it might be a wild goose chase.
Your hope is that a kind person who lives nearer to Stoke Golding can pop along and take a look for you.

MIKE.

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline colin123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 November 11 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike and Diddy

Many thanks for your replies, I appreciate that there may or may not be gravestones
at the Stoke Golding churchyard, hopefully someone can confirm this for me at some stage
in the future !

Regards

Colin123 :)

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
  • The question is only easy if you know the answer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 June 19 01:57 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread, such is the nature of things, I am planning to visit Stoke Golding to look for my relatives soon.... William and Hannah Sheen!

I will let you know how I get on if you are still interested?

Leicestershire: Inglesant. Ryder. Rider. Walford. Massey. Daykin/Daikin. Newbold/Newball. Hammonds.
Great Yarmouth: Gage/Gedge. Ives. Feasley. Peartree. Royall.
Northampton, Laxton Kings Cliffe. Hercock, Heircock. Harecock. Pointon. Baxter. Burfield.
And anyone else who knows me it would seem ;-)

Offline colin123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 June 19 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi George

Many thanks for your message, hopefully you can find William and Hannah Sheen's grave at Stoke Golding !  Let us know if you're successful.

Best Wishes

Colin

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 June 19 09:03 BST (UK) »
I found this the other day, looks like the Sheens are a big part of Stoke Goldings History.

With reference to the information given in last month’s Stoker on Samuel Kirkland and Thomas Sheen being transported to Australia in 1837, my wife’s maiden name was Sheen and Thomas Sheen is one of her ancestors. The Sheens first appeared in the Parish Register of St. Margaret’s Church in 1693 with the marriage of Joseph Sheen to Eleanor Bradford and Sheens were still living in the village into the early years of the 20th century. Thomas Sheen, born in the village on the 17th of April 1817, was the son of Thomas Sheen and Mary nee Miles. Thomas and Mary had eight children, including Thomas Jnr, all born in Stoke Golding. A brother of Thomas Jnr, Francis Sheen, born 19th September 1824, was also transported to Australia in 1850 but that is another story. In addition to Samuel Kirkland and Thomas Sheen a further villager, Thomas Storer, was also charged with setting fire to a stubble stack and a stack of straw but he turned King’s evidence. The Jury returned a verdict of guilty against the prisoners, after which the Learned Judge, (Lord Abinger), in passing sentence addressed them as follows:  “Prisoners at the bar, you stand convicted of an offence for which you ought to forfeit your lives – the most ignominious and disgraceful crime that can be perpetrated. To add if possible, to your crime, you can read and write and with an education to instruct you better, you have violated every decency and law. There was a time when the peasantry and working classes of this country were noted for morality and obedience to the laws, but I am sorry to say, of late years there has been a great and deplorable change. It is fortunate for you that your neighbours have come forward and given you something like a character, or I should have considered it my duty to have sentenced you to forfeit your lives on the public scaffold. Your character and youth, however, have pleaded strongly for you and the sentence of the Court is that you be transported beyond the seas for life as being unworthy to live in the country that gave you birth”.  Thomas Sheen was one of 270 convicts transported on the 10th July 1837 on a ship named the ‘James Pattison’ and arrived in New South Wales. A ticket of leave was given on the 19th August 1846 and Thomas was given a land grant of which he farmed for many years. Thomas married Phoebe Ellen Perkins, who was born in Australia and they had twelve children. Thomas died in 1885. A few years ago, before my wife and I were in touch with her relations in Australia, one of the Australian Sheens had been working at the Australian Embassy in London. He and his family rented a house in London but before they returned home they made a brief visit to Stoke Golding. They visited St. Margaret’s Church and the cemetery in Hinckley Road and found a grave of one of their ancestors. We regret we were not in touch at that particular time.

Hope that was of interest.
Leicestershire: Inglesant. Ryder. Rider. Walford. Massey. Daykin/Daikin. Newbold/Newball. Hammonds.
Northampton, Laxton Kings Cliffe. Hercock, Heircock. Harecock. Pointon. Baxter. Burfield.

Offline colin123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 June 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi George

Many thanks for the info on the Sheens. I'm related to Elizabeth Sheen, who was Thomas's elder sister and my 4 x great grandmother. I had noticed Thomas and Francis and their misdemeanours through typing their names on the Newspaper Archive, there was another cousin, William (b.1832) who also fell foul of the law in the 1860's/70's with various petty crimes, such as stealing fish ! The criminal records database on Ancestry I believe has this information. I haven't got back further than Joseph and Eleanor, who as you say, married at Stoke Golding in 1693, but there's always a chance that I'll find them one day!

Good luck with your visit to SG, hopefully you'll find something !

Regards

Colin

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 June 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
I am going over next Sunday, you kinda prompted me into doing something I been meaning to do, there will be three generations of us which I think is pretty nice, all descended fromt he Sheens of Stoke Golding!