Author Topic: Where is John Forster Buried  (Read 8128 times)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Where is John Forster Buried
« on: Sunday 20 November 11 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the burial place of John and Cecilia (nee McKay) FORSTER who both died within a short time of one another in 1881 at Bailey Mill, Bewcastle. I have their civil Death Certificates but cannot find them being buried anywhere.
I have checked all churches with burials grounds which lie north and east of the Longtown-Brampton Road and also the two two cemeteries for Newcastleton in Roxburghshire which abuts the Bewcastle Parish. They are not in the Carlisle or Stanwix cemeteries in Carlisle either

Any suggestions welcome
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: Where is John Forster Buried
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried the scottish presbyterian church in Bewcastle? 

There is a burial for John Forster in Stapleton in 1881.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes, The Scotch Church was one of the first that I tried and the Stapleton John is the wrong one (us Forster are as common as muck up there).
This man is quite an enigma. He was born Lanercost, Married a girl (with a Scottish name) from Pembrokeshire at Gretna Green, First daughter born Southampton, next one in Edinburgh. Next child Longtown, then Newcastleton, then Bewcastle. This research has been done by someone else and they asked me to find his burial. Easy I thought.
Seems he didn't understand the needs of family historians. :)
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 06:36 GMT (UK) »
You can rule out St Cuthberts, Bewcastle too
http://www.bewcastle.com/inscript.htm
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Whiteout7. I have trawled through the burial registers of all the parishes in Cumbria that are north of a line from Burgh by Sands to Castle Carrock -- about 30 in all. I have his death certificate but his burial is a mystery. He is not in Newcastleton/Ettleton Cemteries, just over the border. Completely baffling.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 January 15 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Were their children baptised at Nether Knowe Chapel. It is just my Elliot family from Bailey had all their children baptised there and I wonder if there is a burial ground in the now "Knowe Presbyterian Church"?

You can rule out Arthuret Church too
http://dustydocs.com/frontend_dev.php/link/7/38669/180158/monumental-inscriptions-internet-archive.html
If you click on the about dustydocs link it should take you to a whole load of burial MIs all over cumberland
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 January 15 21:55 GMT (UK) »
John and Cecilia Forster seemed to go around the country, dropping children all over the place. There are births in Southampton, Longtown (Arthuret), Edinburgh, Newcastleton, Brampton and Bewcastle.  They were Church of England but I know they used the "Scotch Church" at the Knowe. However there is no burial ground at the Knowe Church, just a war memorial and a plaque to the Rev Mossman. If you would like a photo of the church PM me with you email address and I will send.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 January 15 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Are you checking the burial registers of all the churches that have been eliminated, rather than just the memorial inscriptions that have been recorded?  They may have been buried somewhere but never had a headstone erected   :-\
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 January 15 11:02 GMT (UK) »
It is the actual burial registers I check. In this northern part of Cumbria there are usually 40-50 per cent more people in the registers than mentioned on gravestones.
Nicholforest, for example, from when the graveyard opened in 1818 to 1992 has 497 people recorded on gravestones but there are 724 people mentioned in the burial register for the same period.