Author Topic: Mourant - Elizabeth St Saviour  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mourant - Elizabeth St Saviour
« on: Sunday 20 November 11 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Could I have a lookup if possible for the parent details of Elizabeth Mourant born 1724 St Saviour, Married Philippe Amy 1745 at Grouville? Thanks

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mourant - Elizabeth St Saviour
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid there is no record of a baptism for Elizabeth Mourant c1724 in St Saviour, there is one in 1700 and the next one isn't until 1755.

To confuse further there is no Grouville marriage of Philippe Amy and Elizabeth Mourant. The nearest one that I can see was in 1747 between a Charles Amy of Grouville and a Marie Mourant of St Saviour.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi jerseylily,
Can you check any of this out please;
IGI has a Submitted Record of  the Marriage as 1813 ???
Elizabeth Mourant born c 1792
Philip Amy born c 1758

Familysearch.Org has Submitted Marriage of a Philip AMY (Birth c 1719) and Elizabeth MOURSOL abt 1745
(Philip 1758's Parents)

Philip c 1758 was also Married to a Mary MALLET born c 1762

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Does IGI give any parishes?

You have to keep in mind the fact that Amy, Mourant and Mallet are very common names over here, couple that with our ancestor's lack of imagination when it came to Christian names, and you can only begin to guess at how many Elizabeth Mourants and Philip Amys would have been born in the 18th and 19th centuries.

I hope to be back at the Archive on Thurs so will have a look.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 08:55 GMT (UK) »
1813 submitted record has the Marriage as Jersey only. + the Marriage of Philip and Eliz. Moursol taking place there also.
Not much yo gon on sorry.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish1120 and JerseyLilly thanks for your replies.I have always thought the Moursol surname was a spelling mistake for Mourant. The armoral has Elizabeth as a Mourant and also there are the Jersey date stones which have two Philippe Amy's and two Elizabeth Mourants. Not sure about the date of 1699 on one of them. Seems really odd that Elizabeth doesn't appear any were other than the IGI index?

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 November 11 14:47 GMT (UK) »
We have a very handy register at the Archive which cross references all 18th Century marriages. There are no Amy/Moursol marriages in it and only 2 Amy/Mourant marriages. The first was in Grouville between Philippe Amy and Elizabeth Morand (Mourant?) but took place on the 23rd February 1699/1700, which would tie in with the date stone.  The second was the Charles Amy/Mary Mourant marriage that I mentioned before.

There was an Elizabeth Mourant, baptized 2/12/1792 in Grouville, daughter of Timothee Mourant and Elizabeth Grandin. There is also a Philippe Amy baptized 31/1/1759 in Grouville, son of Charles Amy and Marie Mourant (sound familiar?) If these 2 did marry there was a nearly 40 year age difference.

I'm not having much luck with any other Amy/Mourant marriages in the rest of the parishes so, as with a lot of IGI entries relating to Jersey, treat with extreme caution.

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 November 11 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jerseylily thanks for the info. The Amy family line I have says that the son of Philippe and Elizabeth was Philippe Amy born 1758 at Grouville. He married Esther Carrel (Third wife) on 11 Oct 1797 at Trinity. Esther was Baptised 17 Dec 1775 at Trinity. Would it be possible to look up at find any parent details for Philippe attached to the marrage of Philippe and Esther. I got my Philippe and Elizabeth marrage details from the Armoral, which is not always correct. But the same info can also be found on Donkipedia. Some of the dates are a bit suspect but at the moment this is all I have to go on. Thanks