Author Topic: Clovernook  (Read 2050 times)

Offline shaigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clovernook
« on: Monday 21 November 11 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about a house called Clovernook/cloverneuk/clovernieuk around Helensburg (probably Rhu) in the 1800s?  I believe it definitely existed in 1905 as I have a marriage reference where the woman was listed as domestic servant, Clovernook, Rhu, Helensburgh.

My greatgrandmother was born in Rhu and when she married and they built a new home on a farm in New Zealand they called it Cloverneuk.  Both were Scottish.

Any help appreciated.
Sue

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clovernook
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

In the "1899-1900 Helensburgh Directory", there is reference to a "Cloverneuk" located at 28 Argyle St. (West) in Helensburgh.  The occupant/owner is given as a Mrs Adams.

An earlier edition of the directory, published by McNeur and Bryden (Helensburgh) in 1875 "Guide and Directory" makes no mention of a property of this name in either Helensburgh or Row (present day Rhu).

Unfortunately in Streetview its not easy to make out house numbers where they exist, but even more difficult in this part of Helensburgh, where the houses are fairly substantial, and surrounded by mature gardens.

If you google "cloverneuk helensburgh", one of the references mentions a domestic servant at the address in 1905 being married at St Michaels Episcopal Church on 16th August of that year.  This may be the same event that you refer to.

Regards

Istrice