Author Topic: Am I imagining this ?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Am I imagining this ?
« on: Tuesday 22 November 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Was chatting to my friend who's also doing family research & she's found an Elizabeth Lowe of Nottingham (Lowe was her unmarried surname) in the mid nineteenth century. She's obtained her marriage certificate & it says her father was a butcher. I'm sure I remember one (or maybe more than one) Lowe's butcher shops in Nottingham (I'm 56). My mother (85 & lived in Nottm all her life) can't remember them, so they wouldn't have been in the city centre, but possibly in one of the suburbs where I had friends/worked.

Probably no connection at all to the Elizabeth Lowe who married into my friends family, but I'm intrigued to know if my memory is playing tricks on me

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Am I imagining this ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi maybe not fully answering directly your question, but when I put in Lowe occ Butcher Residing Nottingham in the 1901 Census and via the 1911 index, I get a Frank Lowe occ Butcher residing at 21, Alberta Terrace, Sherwood Rise, Notts. Maybe a more local Rootschatter can verify if your memory is playing tricks!

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks keyboard. I used to have a very good friend in that area & I also used to work in a bank near there, so, assuming the business continued, I could have seen it/it could have been one of the bank's customers. Going to check today's Nottm telephone directory

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
They don't seem to be there any longer. Can anyone else remember them from the 1950s onwards ?

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 16:05 GMT (UK) »
A local street directory like Kelly's would determine how long the business continued to trade from a certain address, and you should be able to find them and their succesors. The reference library almost certainly holds Kelly's directory, or possibly an alternative. Once you have found the business a look at the Electoral Register, also reference library, for that street will tell you whether or not they lived over the shop.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Robin Hood

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 11 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 Kellys Directory 1956 shows only one Lowe### A E Lowe, Butcher  191 Mansfield Road
Hubbard, Read, Pinkett, Eastwood, Willetts, Whitehouse, Wilson, Cook(e),Goodman

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 November 11 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Redroger & Robin Hood.....my problem is that I'm in Germany & so can't pop into a library. My friend lived on Mansfield Rd (student flat), so that seems likely.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Why not post a request for a look up on the Nottinghamshire board?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)