Author Topic: Monumental Inscriptions needed around Wigtownshire  (Read 3610 times)

Offline kivo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monumental Inscriptions needed around Wigtownshire
« on: Wednesday 23 November 11 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, my first post on the site!

I have been tracing my Scottish (99% being from Wigtownshire) ancestors for a while now and am currently trying to trace burial records for monumental inscriptions or even possibly a photo.

If you can help me with information on ANY of the following people I would greatly appreciate it!

Margaret 'Maggie' FRASER (nee Wilson) - died 18th May 1954 in Camrie - Glenluce. I have the MI booklet for Glenluce Church Street Cemetery and three of her children are buried in the same plot (421) but it mentions that Maggie was interred at Stoneykirk.  I looked at the MI book for Stoneykirk & Kirkmadrine but she isn't in there at all. All very strange and I can't understand it?

William & Sarah GIBSON (nee McGarvie) - William died 4th August 1936, Sarah died 9th February 1939 - both at Mahaar Farm, Inch. Checked MI book for Inch New Kirkyard but neither are in there. Suggestions?

John & Mary MCGARVIE (nee Kean) - I have the grave plot for John & Mary - they are buried at plot 107 in Kirkmaiden Parish Churchyard, and I have their headstone inscription. But I would like a photo of the headstone, does anyone know who I could contact to request a photo to be taken of it?

I may use this thread again the the future as I go further back with the tree.

Hope you can help!

Lee

Offline Druid56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Inscriptions needed around Wigtownshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi altho it states that these people are buried there they probably couldn't afford a stone . You may be able to discover which plot they are in but as I discovered with some of mine the records have been lost or destroyed so its a dead end I'm afraid   :(
McCcoskry, Coskry,Copland, Rigg, McGinn,Agnew,Crone, Sw/Scotland
Kirkcudbrghtshire , Wigtownshire, Dumfrieshire

Jack,Connell
Wynne, Derby,McFadyen,Dunbar
Glasgow and surrounding areas
Rasche Johnston,
Dundee, Dingwall,Perthshire Carlisle , Ireland, Germany
Weale  , Hall
Much Wenlock and surrounding area Shropshire

Offline Charlotte21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kivo,

Suggest you try Dumfries & Galloway Council, Ashwood House, Sun St., Stranraer as they have helped me out in the past and I was able to find where relatives were buried in Wigtown. They had a person who dealt with these queries when I was in contact with them in 2010, sorry I do not have a name.

Charlotte21

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kivo,

William and Sarah Gibson might be buried in another cemetery Mahaar is in Inch Parish but the nearest villages are Kirkcolm or Leswalt  which both have cemeteries .

You should try Dumfries and Galloway Council it used to be in Sun Street but the office for this is in Blackparks Industrial Estate Stranraer sorry no phone number but the contacts name is Morag if I remember right .
Have all the info. to hand e.g. Date of death and where they died .
They are very helpful and will get back to you whether they can find them or not.

Cheers

Jessie