Author Topic: Records: Alexander John Scott: East Haugh  (Read 4465 times)

Offline SDB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records: Alexander John Scott: East Haugh
« on: Sunday 27 November 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking for Alexander John Scott from East Haugh - name is on a WWI war memorial in Musselbrough/Musselburgh, a private with Black Watch killed in 1918 (I believe buried in France)
I believe his widow, Marjorie Jane, married my grandfather, (was my mother's stepmother),  and moved to Newcastle area - died in late 1920s. I think she's buried in the Musselbrough area - and may have wed my grandfather there. Can't find English records.
Don't know her maiden name
Her nephew was Herbert Paul Darling Brown, (mentioned in her will)
Interested in finding out more about this side of the family.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Records: Alexander John Scott: East Haugh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi SDB

Not sure if you have the right details for Marjorie Jane's first husband. His details which you have www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=526298 give his parents for next of kin. Would normally imply that this Alexander was unmarried at the time of his death in 1918. Hard to say without more info.

Why do you think Marjorie Jane was married first and to an Alexander Scott?

What was your grandfather's name to try to help by double checking for marriages.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SDB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 11 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Monica, much appreciated!

All we know of this lady is she was Mrs. Marjorie Jane Scott, from Musselbrough - she owned property in Levenhall, Musselbrough. She died when my mother was 11, so details are sketchy. Her first husband died in WWI - (his body was never returned, the story went he was hit by a mortar in a foxhole).

Her nephew (the only person mentioned in her will, except for my grandfather and mother)  was Herbert Brown - when I found an article about a WWI memorial dedication in Musselbrough, with Alex J Scott on it, and an organist Herbert Brown playing at the ceremony, I took a leap of faith! I could be way off base.

Mrs. Marjorie Jane Scott married Theodore George Dixon (previously married in 1915 to Dora Florence Wilson Ridley, she died around 1921), around 1922, and she died around 1927. They lived in Monkseaton, Whitley Bay (north of Newcastle).

I can find my grandfather's first marriage, in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne,  on lds.org - he may have married Mrs. Scott in Scotland.

TGD is buried with his first wife and my mother in Whitley Bay - Mrs. Scott (by then Marjorie Jane Dixon) may have been buried in her hometown.

Not much to go on, I'm afraid.

My great-nephew had  a school project on genealogy, and my oldest brother wondered if I had any info on the mysterious Mrs. Scott who was in our family briefly - and who my mother barely remembered. Intriguing, I thought it might be worth a shot!

Much appreciated, anyway!

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 11 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi SDB

Curiosity is what drives us on!

Dora's death entry shows as:

Dora F W Dixon, 42, died 4th Qrt 1921 in Tynemouth, Northumberland (Vol. 10b/Pg. 322).

Marjorie's death details as:

Marjorie J Dixon, 50. died 4th Qrt 1927 in Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland(Vol 10b/Pg. 149).

I think she's buried in the Musselbrough area

This old post says that Theodore is buried with both wives? http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NORTHUMBRIA/1999-07/0931530253

You were right in thinking that Theodore's second marriage was likely to have been in Scotland. There is a marriage entry showing on the pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for Theodore to a Marjorie Jane Hunter/Scott in 1924 in Inveresk and Musselburgh, Midlothian. You can dowload the marriage cert direct from the site (costs are very reasonable). Scottish marriage certs unlike English ones will also include the full name of the bride/groom's mother which helps in working back.

I would have my eye on this entry from 1901 for Marjorie:

Jane Hunter 63 b. England
Marjory Hunter 23, daughter, Telegraphist b. Linlithgow, Linlithgowshire

Address: 52 Newbigging, Inveresk and Musselburgh

Marjorie's marriage I think takes you straight back to the Newcastle area I think:

Marjorie J Hunter and John T Scott, 3rd Qrt 1916 Tynemouth, Northumberland

Something to work from hopefully....

Monica  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
From 1891:

Jane Hunter 53 b. England
James Hunter 23 vanman,  b. Roxburgh
Willm Pitcairn Hunter 16, apprentice clerk b. Dalkeith
Marjory Jane Hunter 13 b. Linlithgow
...and 4 boarders

Address: No 6 S S James St No Side, Edinburgh

I think, working back, that father was a John Hunter, showing in 1871 as a Station Agent born in Tillicoultry, Clackmannan c. 1836. Mother Jane likely surname Tippen.

The marriage cert for Marjorie would let you work back with confidence  :)

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 11 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I do not have full access to any of the 1911 census sites but just from the general free searches you can do, in this case from Genes Reunited which includes place of birth on the free index result, there is in Tynemouth for 1911:

Marjorie Jane Hunter, 33, b. Linlithgow Scotland

www.GenesReunited.co.uk/search.page/results/census_1911/hunter/marjorie?yearofbirth=1878&yearofbirthrange=3

I think we are very likely on the right path for Marjorie Jane  ;)

Monica

Offline SDB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 November 11 22:35 GMT (UK) »
This is amazing, Monica - I can't thank you enough (and my brother will be tickled pink)

Now that you've raised the name Hunter - it rings bells.

My grandfather was a telegraphist on the railways, which makes sense (so was his first wife), and probably how he met Marjorie.

The age is correct too, as my grandfather would have been in his late 40s when he remarried and 51 when Marjorie died.

So I was on the wrong track with Pvt. Alex Scott - but it was an interesting trail.

Again, thank you SO much. These forums are amazing, thanks to the generosity of people like yourself. I had amazing help tracing my father's family in Derbyshire back to the 1700s.

I hadn't dabbled in genealogy for some time, until my great-nephew and older brother got things in motion again. It was strange pulling out the old birth/death certificates again - reaching back into the past. I wish I had more time - perhaps when I retire in a few years!