Author Topic: Statutory declaration  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Bungle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Statutory declaration
« on: Monday 28 November 11 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a birth certificate copy of a birth dated 1912 and in 1916 it has a statutory declaration noted on the side of it how can i find out why it was changed?

Thanks
Tabor-Bourne,Bannister-Bourne,Birch-Bourne/Quadring Euadyke,Stevens-Surfleet,Smith-Surfleet,Green-Wigtoft,Holmes-Yorkshire
Moisey-Bourne,Lyon-Lincolnshire
Mayer/Priestley
"Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Statutory declaration
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 11 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Does it not give any details on the certificate?

This is what the 1874 Act states;

(3.) An error of fact or substance in any such register may be corrected by entry in the margin (without any alteration of the original entry) by the officer having the custody of the register, upon payment of the appointed fee and upon production to him by the person requiring such error to be corrected of a statutory declaration setting forth the nature of the error and the true facts of the case, and made by two persons required by this Act to give information concerning the birth or death with reference to which the error has been made, or in default of such persons then by two credible persons having knowledge of the truth of the case:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/acts/1874Act.htm

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
If the certificate is a typed copy then that may be causing the problem. Personally I would try the following, if the copy was obtained from the National Source I would obtain a copy from the local registrar, if it came from the local registrar then do the opposite. You might get a hand written copy that way, and you can always ask when you apply for details of the declaration.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Bungle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 11 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for your replies there are corrections in the righthand margin but I wondered if notes/reasons were kept with the original certificate,there are 3 corrections but why.
The fathers name is to be omitted,the formerly surname is to be omitted and the occupation of father is to be omitted because I can't get a good fix on the mothers maiden name I'm stuck and have been for a long time as I think she may have been married 3 times anyway.

Thanks

Nigel
Tabor-Bourne,Bannister-Bourne,Birch-Bourne/Quadring Euadyke,Stevens-Surfleet,Smith-Surfleet,Green-Wigtoft,Holmes-Yorkshire
Mayer/Priestley

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
What you have is a certified copy of the original certificate, there will no no more information on the one held by the register office. The reasons will have been shown on the statutory declaration, but this will probably not have survived once the corrections had been made.
It will say on the certificate "Certified to be a true copy of an entry in a register in my custody."

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 11 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Nigel

I have a friend whose birth cert is very much like that.Her parents were married in 1940- she was born in 44.But about 18 months later her father accused her mother of having an affair and decided that he was not her natural father,so made the mother change my friends birth cert.

It now shows her as being illegitmate.

Have you tried giving us Rootschatters all the details,maybe someone can help you fathom this one out.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bungle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 November 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for the replies the details are born 20/02/1912 Ronald boy father Arthur Mayer Mother Jessie Mayer formerly Wicks occupation father Journeyman Butcher registered 01/04/1912

on the right

omit Arthur Mayer Mother Jessie Mayer omit formerly Wicks occupation father omit Journeyman Butcher corrected on 07/09/1916 declaration made by Jessie Priestley and James Mayer

Jessie Priestley married Arthur Priestley 1913 (Mar Mayer  Jessie  Priestley  Boston  7a 805) also a record of her marring Walter Priestley 1950 the Priestley (Mar PRIESTLEY  Jessie  Priestley  Solihull  9c 2099) bits I'm quite sure about listening to family but Wicks to Mayer is the difficult bit.

Thanks

Nigel
Mayer/Priestley

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 16:05 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though she registered the child and gave the father's name as Arthur Mayer (probably made up) and stated that she was married and called Jessie Mayer, nee Wicks (which she probably also made up).  If the father's name was to be omitted, it only makes sense to omit the occupation too.  The only Arthur Meyer I can find (in Lincolnshire) was born about 1894, and he measured fish for an occupation.  Also they've omitted Wicks, which more or less proves that Jessie wasn't married when her son was born.

Who was James Mayer?   In 1901 Jessie was a servant surname Mayer, in Lincolnshire, in 1891 she was an inmate in Boston workhouse with her mother Jane, sisters Ethel and May.  The only James Mayer I can find doesn't seem to be connected, unless he is something to do with Jessie's father.

Have you got Jessie's birth certificate?  The only one I can find is for a Jessie Mayers (with an S) in 1885 which fits with her age on various census.  Her sisters Ethel and May are registered as Mayer, so Jessie's name could just be a misspelling.  I doubt her mother was married either, as I can't find a marriage for a Mr Mayer to a Jane, although there is a marriage of an Arthur Mayer to an Ida Stephenson in 1882.  There is no husband named on the 1891 census, although Jane Mayer states her husband is a railway worker.  In 1901 she is very conveniently widowed.

Lizzie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie, Where did the Stephenson marriage take place please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)