Author Topic: John McCABE born 1804 Carlow  (Read 12746 times)

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McCABE born 1804 Carlow
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 December 11 02:31 GMT (UK) »

Sorry posted before I was finished.Where do I go from here with John McCabe.Does Old Leighlin have any
records for these years available.I am trying to trace in Kilkenny for Ellen & children not much luck so far

Thanks Chinka

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 December 11 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chinka, I'm not sure how much this is going to help but I'll have a go anyway. St John's Parish seems to be in and close to Kilkenny City. It wouldn't be the same area as Castlecomer. Castlecomer is a small town around 20km from Kilkenny City. The reference to O'Loughlin on the St John's Parish logo is to a man after whom the parish church is called. I know Shane asked this already but do you have the OLoughlin reference for John McCabe on a document on some sort?

On the National Library website (www.nli.ie), they have a list of available dates of parish records. They are organised under diocese name so for St John's it's the Diocese of Ossory and for Leighlinbridge, it's Kildare & Leighlin. For St John's in Kilkenny is says there are baptisms between Jan 1809-July 1830 and Feb 1842-Feb 1877. Also marriages between June 1809-July 1830 and April 1842-May 1872.

There is a gap in the Leighlinbridge records around the date you want but if you contact Carlow County Library they do free lookups in the records they have. They only have records for the Carlow parishes though.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 December 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
You are dealing with quite separate locations in two different counties. St. John's is one of the Kilkenny city parishes, and the town and parish of Castlecomer are about 20km north of the city.

The towns of Leighlinbridge and Old Leighlin (which are both in the RC parish also named Leighlinbridge) are in Co. Carlow and about 30km north east of Kilkenny City.

You can check RC parishes, location of records, dates available etc on the Irish Times website - see RC Parish Map

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 December 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »

First I would like to thank both Sonas & Shane for your help.I know I have two different counties & parishes but all my info deals with both . All of Johns children were born St Johns Kilkenny.But so far I have only found him in1849     
Griffiths.No one else .1852 Griffiths has names that match all the family.John was somehow involved in the mines at
Castlecomer.I thought Ellen his wife died in Belfast in1853, but have since found the notes mean Before( bad writing) So maybe he moved back to Carlow his youngest chidren were quite young.There seems to be lots of McCabes in Old Leighlin.I found a James McCabe that fits Johns father.Cant find anything on Ellen,nothing in any
Family tree info either.Would think she came from Kilkenny as it is a Butler stronghold.Seems she was born about 1800 according to notes I have.Do you think I should try the Butler Society to trace her.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 December 11 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I think it would be best to search parish records for Carlow first, to try to establish family lines. RC records for the county are not online yet, so maybe try either the Carlow library option mentioned by Sonas, or try the NLI of FamilySearch (if available) microfilms.

Butler is quite a common surname in the south, so it's probably not that safe to assume your Ellen was born in Kilkenny, also 1800 is before the start of many of the RC registers - so a more definite location, or details of her parents, would probably be required to search for her.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 December 11 13:16 GMT (UK) »

Thanks again for help.Found info had John McCabe born in1799.Can you tell me is Castleconnell in Tipperary.
 My son told me it is . One document I have mentions this but may be mistaken for Castlecomer,might check for Ellen there lots of Butlers here also. I will find her one day I hope .Probably wait til after Christmas break & spend some money to search further.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 December 11 14:59 GMT (UK) »
The Castleconnell I know of is in Co. Limerick and about 100km west of Kilkenny City. The town is quite close to the borders with counties Clare and Tipperary.

RC baptism records for Castlecomer only go back to 1812.

You need to be very careful when searching for baptisms as early as 1800 or so, as very few rural RC parishes have record back that far, so it would be very easy to end wasting time and money following the wrong McCabe family unless you have specific clues to follow.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 December 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »

I re checked my info only found Casleconnell on 1 document I think it should be Castlecomer. Lots of  mis

spellings and different dates involved.The info was written by relatives who didnt know places and counties

of Ireland so spelling and names wrong.I will concentrate on Carlow and try to find out more.If John McCabe

was a landlord in Castlecomer but leased a property in 1849(said unoccupied on Griffiths) do you think he

was affluent .In 1852 the owner of property in Carlow listed as John McCabe but James living there

(matches his father).Dont understand why hes not living in own house unless un inhabitable &only land