Author Topic: William Simpson married Lily Beels 1920 at Grimsby  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Simpson married Lily Beels 1920 at Grimsby
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 December 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
This is the marriage, no more details I'm afraid.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Arlington Street   19/08/1920   SIMPSON   William                     BEELS   Lily Catherine

I have no connection with the family.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 December 11 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I think this is  the death & burial of William Simpson, the son in 1927.

This William Simpson was married to a Lily Catherine Simpson, so that would be maiden name Beels. He is buried in Cleethorpes Cemetery, grave ref B M08. He died at Hull Royal Infirmary on 5th December 1927 and was buried in Cleethorpes cemetery, Trinity Road, Cleethorpes on 8th December, 1927. Last known address 47, Lindum Road, Cleethorpes. At the time of his death he was 35 years of age.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 December 11 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that you contact Grimsby Central Library where they have a very good local history section and would be only too pleased to see if they could find the voters registers from 1919 onwards for Lindum Road, Cleethorpes to see if you can find when they first went to live there.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 December 11 22:10 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at this resource too, Scartho Road, Cemetery, Grimsby

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engggfhg/

So far no show of William Simpson senior, but you could always contact the library again for burials at Scartho Road, they are on fiche at the library. The Archives at Grimsby also hold such records-only those cremations & burials after 1970 are held by the North East Lincolnshire Crematorium at Grimsby.

Tom

Offline elsinore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 December 11 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear Tom,

Thank you so much for all this information. My next step was going to be the Library - I thought I would look for an obituary. You are right the 1927 death is for the son.

The marriage you gave me was particularly useful as I know he was a preacher but did not know what church.

I have just found the burial of William Owen Simpson - he died 9 Oct 1933 and was buried at Scartho Road Cemetery, Grimsby 12 Oct 1933.

Thanks

Moorhouse (WRY) Livermore (Cambs) Castle (Kent) Baskeyfield (Staffs) McKenzie (Moray & Cumberland)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 December 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
The information as regards the marriage is from a CD of Grimsby & Cleethorpes area marriages,  some 42,000 local marriages recorded mostly from marriage certificates available from a Denise Light, of Grimsby at the below named website.

http://www.angelfire.com/de/delighted/

On the same website you will find the Absent Voters List of 1919, the addresses & military information for those men who although able to vote in 1919, couldn't because they had not been demobbed. I did check the list but young William was not amongst them.

You will find information about Methodist local preachers from Peter Nockles at Rylands College Manchester which holds many Methodist Church  records.
 No doubt the local newspapers, The Grimsby News and Telegraph will have at least an announcement of the death, and if you are lucky floral tributes.

Tom

Offline elsinore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 December 11 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tom.

I am working through your suggestions.
Moorhouse (WRY) Livermore (Cambs) Castle (Kent) Baskeyfield (Staffs) McKenzie (Moray & Cumberland)