Author Topic: William Robertson  (Read 8031 times)

Offline tombuc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Robertson
« on: Sunday 11 December 11 00:41 GMT (UK) »
William Robertson born c1839 in co.Leitrim to John Robertson and Anne Golden or Goldan. Susequently married Mary Curley of co. Sligo in Falkirk Scotland in 1860. I would appreciate any help in trcing this couple.
Regards,
Tom
Buchanan, Brown, McLeod, Maxwell, McLean, Smillie, Jarvie, Struthers, Baxter, Bennie, Bartholomew, Paterson, Christie, McLauchlan.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 11 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,

There are no Irish birth certs available before 1864 when full civil registration started in Ireland.
For earlier details you need to check the parish records, and to do this you need to know the denomination of the family and also where in Leitrim William  came from.

These may be of help:

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Did his marriage certificate give his father's name?

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tombuc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 11 19:42 GMT (UK) »
heywood
Thanks for speedy response. I am a complete beginner at searching in Ireland, so I have a lot to learn. Will follow up your suggestion.
Parents of William Robertson born c1839 in Leitrim were William Robertson and Anne Goldan.
Regards
Tom
Buchanan, Brown, McLeod, Maxwell, McLean, Smillie, Jarvie, Struthers, Baxter, Bennie, Bartholomew, Paterson, Christie, McLauchlan.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 11 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - I realised that you have given the parents in your post.

I presume you mean John Robertson (you just typed William as father too).  :)

Offline tombuc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 11 23:06 GMT (UK) »
William was the fathers name as well
regards
tom

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 December 11 23:22 GMT (UK) »
William was the fathers name as well
regards
tom

Tom,
can you just clarify - in post 1, you have William born to John Robertson and Ann Golden :-\

I have looked at Griffiths Valuation (approx.1850s) and there are no Robertsons in Leitrim in GV

Offline tombuc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 11 11:27 GMT (UK) »
The information that I have for William is a record of marriage in 1860 in Laurieston, Falkirk, to Mary Curley. Their ages are shown as 24 and 22 respectively. William's parents are shown as William Robertson and Anne Goldan and Mary's as Thomas Curley and Ann McGourlay. There is no mention of place of birth
The Falkirk census of 1861 shows William's age as 22  and Mary's as 23. Places of birth shown as Co Leitrim and Co Sligo respectively. No parish shown for either.
The Falkirk census of 1871 shows Williams age as 33 and Mary's as 32. Place of birth shown as Ireland for both.
The Falkirk census for 1881 shows William's age as 42 and Mary's  as 43. Place of birth shown as Ireland for both.
William's death record shows that he died in Laurieston Falkirk 26th. June 1904 aged 61 yrs. No place of birth shown, parents  shown as William Robertson and Ann McGourlay. This would appear to be an error because Ann McGourlay is recorded as the mother of Mary Curley on the marriage record of William and Mary in 1860.
So William's date of birth would appear to have been between 1836 and 1843. I have his birth recorded as 1839 in Co. Leitrim because that is the only information that I have which shows a place of birth to date.
So any help at all would be appreciated.
Regards
Tom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 December 11 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Without a more specific location, i.e. townland or parish, a search will not be easy. Do you know which denomination your Robertson family were ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 December 11 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Does the marriage cert for William and Mary include the occupation of John William snr Robertson ?

Shane

Edit : see that the father's name was later edited to William
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests