Author Topic: William Delahant, Carlow  (Read 4422 times)

Offline lcope

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Delahant, Carlow
« on: Sunday 11 December 11 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

We are looking for a William Delahant who was born in about 1771 in Carlow. He was a ships clerk on the HMS Sylph and this is where we got his birth details from. He got married to Mary Jasper in Maker, Cornwall and died about 1810. We are stuck and can get no further. Can anyone please help!

Thankyou

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: William Delahant, Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 11 10:13 GMT (UK) »
William's birth is probably a little too early for most of the available parish records, but if this Delahunt family were Church of Ireland then it might be worth checking the Carlow records on www.irishgenealogy.ie

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lcope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 December 11 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane,

I looked up the website and I found a Guilmus Delahunt born in 1765, so it may be him. I suppose the next step is to try and find a death record. We know he was on several ships and supposedly died in Barbados but we are guessing the year. There should be ships records, somewhere.

Thanks again
Leanne

Offline PHIL DELAHANT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 03:05 GMT (UK) »
I will have to find the family history book but i believe i might have some info on William Delahant.
From memory he is a great ,,,,,,,,,Grandfather down the line but im sure he went by William Jasper Delahant the 1st
as far as the tree goes . I will post back when I have a chance .Phil Delahant Australia.

Offline lcope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the reply. William Jasper Delahant is the son of the William Delahant I am looking for. William Jasper's sister, Elizabeth, is my husbands gg.... grandmother. William Snr died when his children were very young. He was a captains clerk in the Royal Navy. It would be interesting to see what information you have.

Great to hear from you
Leanne
Australia