Author Topic: Paisley Abbey  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paisley Abbey
« on: Sunday 11 December 11 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if anyone has access to Paisley Abbey church records & would give me the details of this marriage please.

Mary Mc Donald to Andrew Cochran 06 MAR 1848  Paisley, Abbey Renfrew, Scotland
His parents are James & Sophia but would love to find her parents. Hoping John & Elizabeth.

Many thanks

Washy :)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Paisley Abbey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Washy

As this is pre 1855 this would be parish records which are on Scotland's People . However the marriage records pre registration are usually only a record of banns and very rarely have parents names - usually just names of bride and groom and parish they were resident in.

I'd suggest you look for Mary's death cert. assuming she died after 1855 her parents names should be on it (assuming the  informant had that info). Her death cert if she died in Scotland will be on Scotland's People.

Best Wishes

Ann :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ann I will try that, have a horrible feeling have a possible death for her but it doesn't contain details, just my luck. lol.

Washy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Washy

Just adding the link to the previous post on the famiy for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,543526.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monca,
Knew I had the information on her death somewhere saves me trawling through all my info lol. :)

Mary McDonald Cochran, that spelling died 1904. aged 78 years, Milton, Lanark

If anyone has further info on this death would be really pleased Thank you

Washy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Is this the one that you had with no parents' info on the cert? Pity if so  :-\

I can see why you hope her parents could have been John and Elizabeth - is this from the 1841 census entry in Lesmahagow?

Hard to say though from this alone. If Mary and Andrew used some form of naming order, the names of John and Elizabeth don't really look to fit well (or at all really).

From what I saw, you have

Hugh
James - Andrew's father
Sophia - Andrew's mother
Ann

Monica

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

I have these Mc Donalds from the 1821 census given to me on another post would do link like you did but sorry don't know how to. Picked John & Elizabeth because I thought she had children John & Elizabeth but got mixed up with another part of the family, (sorry again) but when I saw the 1841 census thought it could be her. I was just going to work through these names. She did have children (Barbara Cameron), Alexander & a William as well. Maybe I should start with William lol.

MRS McDONALD, Crossbank, 1 male & 1 female in household.

ANTHONY McDONALD & MARGARET BROWN, Kirkhillpark, 5 males & 1 female in household.

JOHN McDONALD & E. GOLD, Linehouse, 1 male & 2 females in household.

WILLIAM McDONALD & M. WILSON, Waterside, 1 male & 3 females in household.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 December 11 09:51 GMT (UK) »
You are in a tricky period before the start of official registration and the lack of parent info on Mary's death cert aren't you  :-\

I was looking at the first born's names as quite often in Scotland there is some element of naming pattern and the use of important names (first names and surnames) - see for example here www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm Not always followed or in strict order (just as you have Andrew's father being second born son and Andrew's mother being first born daughter) but always a good guide when you have missing info as a start.

These were the names I could see on IGI, which picks up after the birth of Sophia:

1. Ann COCHRAN b. 19 April 1856 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew
2. Barbara CAMERON COCHRANE b. 2 Oct. 1858 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew,
3. Alexander COCHRAN b. 24 Oct. 1860 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew
4. William COCHRAN b. 31 March 1863 Renfrew, Renfrew
5. Andrew LISTER COCHRAN b. 2 Feb. 1866 Renfrew, Renfrew

Monica

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 December 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Thank you for that very interesting, going to see if there is a pattern. I know Andrews parents are James Cochrane & Sophia Litster, so will see where their names apppear in the run of the family & go from there. The Cameron name is obviously a second name, but which side lol.

On thing I was wondering if you could help me with is Andrew & Mary's marriage apppears on the old family search site but doesn't seem to come up on the new one, & I don't really understand where the info on the old site has come from. Doesn't say from member or anything just has a batch number that I don't really understand.
Many thanks

Washy