Author Topic: Daly Tyrrellspass area  (Read 6495 times)

Offline moolaboola

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daly Tyrrellspass area
« on: Monday 12 December 11 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Am researching my maternal line and seeking information on the children of Mary and Patrick Daly (farmer). Two sons, James and Joseph,  emigrated to Australiai the 1870's , and both death certificates  list Tyrrellspass as place of birth.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Daly Tyrrellspass area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 December 11 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Do you know Mary's maiden name ?

It may be shown of marriage or death certs for James and Joseph. Having this details should narrow down the list of possible Daly families in your search for births or baptisms.

You didn't mention years of birth for either of the sons, but if they were born before the start of full civil records in 1864 then you will have to search parish records for your Daly family.

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline moolaboola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 December 11 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for such a prompt reply. The mother Maryt is listed as Mary Daly- There are lots of Dalys in that area so it is possible that also was her maiden name.
James was born in 1855- married in Australia for a 2nd time as he is listed as a widower on his marriage certificate.
Joseph was born in 1859.
I have many records of Dalys around Tyrrellspass/Rochfortbridge but can't find the births for either James or Joseph.
I know that father Patrick had a sister Rose who married Richard Power and emigrated to Canada.
I have been trying to contact Anthony Daly who may hold the key for me. He has posted many messages over the past few years, but the email address he had is no longer active.

Is there a way I can contact him via Rootsweb-he has been using this website?
Many thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 December 11 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to contact Anthony Daly who may hold the key for me. He has posted many messages over the past few years, but the email address he had is no longer active.

Is there a way I can contact him via Rootsweb-he has been using this website?

do you mean here on RootsChat ?

I dont recall any recent Daly queries here on RootsChat from an Anthony Daly - but you can use the Search function (see the button towards the top of this page) or Google to check...

Because of the dates for James and Patrick you would be looking for baptisms rather than births...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline moolaboola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 December 11 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again- I have now messaged Anthony Daly via Rootschat. He was last active in January this year.

Yes- I meant that i had been searching baptism records without success. via rootsireland.
Can you suggest anything else that I can do fom Australia?
Kate

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 December 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
You could try extending your search to adjacent parishes in case the location of birth they gave is not quite accurate. Often people would state the name of the nearest larger town that outside people may know when asked place of birth or origin, rather than actual place of birth. There's a map of the RC parishes available on the Irish Times website : Co. Westmeath RC Parishes  Most of the neighbouring parishes seem to have records back to the 1850s.

I think it's also worth following up further records in Australia just to try confirm that  Mary's surname was also Daly - it's possible that either or both of the sons didn't know her maiden name so it just 'defaulted' to Daly in later records ..

Is it possible that they were not RC - maybe Church of Ireland ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Could the below be related;
Headstone in Tyrrellpass cemetery;

Erected by James Daly, Jersey America, for beloved parents
Patrick Daly; 10/12/1878  (73)
Mary; 22/1/1880 (78)
=====
Jack

Offline moolaboola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you- yes I think it is quite possible that there is a connection. But am doubtful that it is the Mary & Patrick I need as their son James was in Australia in 1879 and was there until he died  in 1903- unless they had 2 living sons called James. Thank you so much for replying. Kate