Author Topic: Collier of Ballinkillen, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow  (Read 21992 times)

Offline Bills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Collier of Ballinkillen, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow
« on: Tuesday 13 December 11 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Richard Collier married Catherine (Kate) Perrot from Kilkenny about 1892.
They lived in Ballinkillen, Bagenalstown where they had a large family.

Would love to hear from anyone with information.  Thanks,  Bill   

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Collier of Ballinkillen, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 09:24 GMT (UK) »
see related thread : Perrot (or similar spelling)
  (Co. Kilkenny)
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 December 11 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever get their marriage cert to find out Catherine's father's name ?

There was a Catherine Perrott born 7th March 1868 in County Laois to a Thomas Perrott and Mary Dwyer - Some of Laois' borders touch Kilkenny !

Just a possibility !

Tara

Offline Bills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 December 11 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  No I haven't yet got their marriage certificate but I will certainly have a look at this new information.  It brings into play a possible new location, again thanks a million. 

Bill

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 December 11 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

www.familysearch.org lists Kate Perrott marrying Richard Collier in Kilkenny in the July-Sept quarter of 1892.  Film No 101256, Vol 3, Page 319.

Cheers

Offline rajadar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 January 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »

Hi Bill
I am a great grandson of the Richard and Catherine you are talking about. James (Sonny) was their youngest son and was my grandfather. They had about 12 kids in all that lived and she had about another 6 that either died as babies or miscarried. I am trying to trace the family tree as well. Catherine was from Gowran and her fathers name was Martin and her mother was Mary Byrne. She also had a brother John( Jack) who was supposed to be a good amateur boxer so my grandfather told me. She had 3 sisters Margarert, Bridget and Hannah. I have more information but I have to dig it out. Richard and Catherine had a son called Bill who had a daughter Brigid who went to England. Is it from this line you come from.

Offline rajadar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 January 12 19:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi Bill
I am a great grandson of the Richard and Catherine you are talking about. James (Sonny) was their youngest son and was my grandfather. They had about 12 kids in all that lived and she had about another 6 that either died as babies or miscarried. I am trying to trace the family tree as well. Catherine was from Gowran and her fathers name was Martin and her mother was Mary Byrne. She also had a brother John( Jack) who was supposed to be a good amateur boxer so my grandfather told me. She had 3 sisters Margarert, Bridget and Hannah. I have more information but I have to dig it out. Richard and Catherine had a son called Bill who had a daughter Brigid who went to England. Is it from this line you come from.

Offline Bills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 January 12 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi rajadar

Thanks for your reply and we do appear to be connected

My mother Mary was born in 1912 or 1913 and was I believe Sonny's sister.   I met a Sonny Collier on many occasions in the early 50's when brought to Bagenalstown as a child on holidays.  It was either Sonny or Willie who often picked us up at the station in an old van with only two seats in the front. Two of us, myself and Dad would travel in the back at high speed.  Great fun for me! 

I think either Sonny or Willie went to Manchester to live.

Years ago I also met a couple from Bagenalstown named Kavanagh who knew the family.  They apparently lived quite close.

This is good news and I'd love to hear from you again.  we both have some interesting material.

Regards

Bill

Offline rajadar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 12 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Yes I can imagine how fun it must have been for you visiting Bagenalstown in your youth as both sonny (my grandfather) and William, we knew him as Bill were both very colourful characters. So our relationship seems to be that you and my father are first cousins that would make us first cousins once removed. I must tell my father I got in touch with you. I myself don't remember your mother and I never met her as I was only born in 1969 but I heard my grandfather talk about her as did my father.
   My grandfather did go to England for a while but the family stayed in Ballinkillin and he later returned as was common back in those years to go to England in search of work.
  My father's name is Richard or Roly as he is more commonly known. You still have cousins living in Ballinkillen. There is Tom and Jim both sons of Tom your mothers brother. I have only recently been researching the family tree and I have recently found out quite a bit about them. Let me know what you would like to know and I will see if I can fill you in. You might have some information that I might not have too.
   Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Incidently my real name is James Collier named after my grandfather.