Author Topic: 725 Mary Street, Utica, New York  (Read 7379 times)

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
725 Mary Street, Utica, New York
« on: Wednesday 14 December 11 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there..

I am helping a gentleman search for his roots.  His father came over to the US in 1914 and applied for naturalization in 1919 in Pittsburg and was granted it in 1922.

I started a family tree for this gentleman and have found in 1927 where his father Teodore (Teodoro) Ricciardelli stated that his current address was 725 Mary St, Utica, New York.

His wife was Edvice Consoi or Consonni...Theodore (his American name) went back to Italy to find a wife and came back.  I could not find her anywhere in an immigration record.

Their first child was Marcella...I have tried high and low looking for them in the 1930 US Census and also looked for Theodoro in the 1920 US Census in Allegheny County in PA.  I tried first name only..then a variation of things.

Now I want to browse the collections of Utical New York but would love to be able to limit it to the district.  How can we find what district a street is in.  Thanks for your help.
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 725 Mary Street, Utica, New York
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 December 11 09:04 GMT (UK) »
A possibility?
1920 Clairton, Allegheny, PA
Teridora Richardelli, Roomer, Male, age 22, Single, immigrated 1914, born Italy as were parents.  Laborer, Steel Mill.
320 Wilson Avenue
Living in the residence of Mary Tomaselli and her family (there were other roomers, too).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 December 11 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the death record for Teodoro ?   Born 7 Feb 1897.  Died Feb 1970 - Buffalo, Erie, New York, United States of America.

Incidentally, Teodoro described himself as 'married' when he entered the US in June 1927.  Maybe this was him arriving back after marriage ?  His wife could have followed him out on a later voyage.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 December 11 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Sailing on the Conte Biancamano, arriving New York 24 June 1927, Edvige Consonni.
Age 22, Housewife, married, born S. Marco dei (del?) Cavoti, Italy.
Mother's name: Verzino Angela, address S. Marco dei Cavoti.
"Travels with husband, American Citizen."  Utica, NY 725 Mary Street. Ricciardelli, ? (could be Teodore). She was 5'3", nat complexion, fair hair, blue eyes.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 December 11 10:16 GMT (UK) »
According to Teodoro's naturalization application, he arrived in New York on the 'Konig Albert' on 25th April 1914.  He gave his birth date as 7 Feb 1897, which ties in with the death record I posted earlier.  At the time of his naturalization application on 13 August 1919 in PA, he said he was unmarried.  He also gave his birth place as Divaveti, S Marco, Italy, and his residence in Italy as Naples.  His trade was a bricklayer.

P.S. His address on the application was a PO Box in Clairton PA, which ties in with Lisa's sighting of him in 1920.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 December 11 12:43 GMT (UK) »
If you want to find what streets are in what enumeration district for large cities in the 1900-1940 Census, this site can be helpful:  http://stevemorse.org/census/index.html

In case it helps, there are a number of Utica & Buffalo newspapers on www.fultonhistory.com and I see a number of references to people named Ricciardelli - not sure if they're related to this branch.

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 December 11 00:28 GMT (UK) »
OH my goodness guys...I cannot wait to go find that census....I did find that ship manifest but neglected to see the wife.

I will be busy finding those and printing those for this gentleman.  He is a retired computer exec who has helped many of us in the neighborhood with repair chores that many of us could not do. 

NOW I am excited to help him back helping his locate his family.
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 December 11 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Nick...

I had found that naturalization record which he was thrilled about...but was searching for those US Census for him.  I had tried everything on ancestry to pull up the 1920 and 1930...

Even with Lisa giving me the spelling I had to put in all of the details in order for that 1920 Census to come up...LISA you are truly a miracle worker.  I had tried ALL kinds of spelling but YOU found the 1920 Census.

And I cannot wait to see if that woman on  the immigration belonged to Teodoro which finally became Theodore.

This gentleman's daughter lived in my neighborhood for years.  He retired from being a computer exec only to help the neighbors with odd jobs.  It helped him make a few bucks and helped us by not having to pay the BIG bucks for professional repairman.  Yesterday my self in my pantry broke and he came over to fix it...he mentioned how many years he has been searching so I thought I would help. NOW with all of your help, I can give him this gift.

Thanks again allll...>YOU are the best!!!!

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 December 11 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Shelly....I cannot wait to go to that link to see if I can hunt down the family in Utica NY.  This gentleman said that his father lived in Buffalo for a number of years as well.

So onward to find that young family in the 1930 Census.  I am anxious for that 1940 Census to open up.