Author Topic: 1881 census of Liverpool  (Read 2277 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1881 census of Liverpool
« on: Tuesday 20 December 11 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Can anyone help?

I have the following record from the baptism recors of St Vincent de Paul (RC) church, Liverpool.

Unfortunately the names are in Latin.

Born 12th May 1880 & baptised 15th May 1880
Name of person: Georgius Edwards
Name of Father: Georgu Edwards
Name of Mother Brigitta Edwards formerly Audley.

I am assuming that the above birth is Q2 1880 George Edwards W Derby 8b 324

Can you help me find where the family were in the 1881 and when did the parents marry?

Thanks in anticipation of your help
Regards
Brian
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census of Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I can not find a George Edwards born 1880 in Liverpool in the 1881 census, but there is a death for a George Edwards aged 0 registered in the September quarter of 1880 in West Derby. Have you found George in later census records?

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi jds1949,

Thanks for your reply.
I am undertaking a study of the Audley surname and the baptismal record is one that I cannot fit into any of the Audley Families of Liverpool.
The additional information I have is that the God mother of the person baptised is recorded as Maria Anna Audley.
In my records I have a Bridget Audley who was born in 1855 and married a George Norris in Q2 1878. Her name is recorded in the GRO marriage index as Badalia Audley. The GRO rederence is  Liverpool 8b 110.
In the 1881 She is living at 24 Jordan Street Liverpool (RG11/2617/73/18) as Bridget Norris with her husband George Norris and a 1 year old son George Norris.
This Bridget also had a sister Mary Ann and therefore she could have been the Godmother
I am wondering whether the wrong surname has been written in the parish register, but then that does not fit in with the GRO indexes
Regards
Brian

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Free bmd has the birth of a George Edwin Norris at Liverpool registered in the September quarter [July, August, September] Reg Vol 8b page 113.

Given that Edwin and Edward were often interchangeable especially when translated into Latin, I would hazard that this is your boy and that the register transcript has missed off the Norris surname - possibly mistaking Edward for the surname when it was, in fact, the second Christian name of both father and son.

There is the birth of a George Edwin Norris registered at West Derby in the September quarter 1853, which would seem to fit the age of the George Norris married to Bridget, who was 27 in 1881.

jds1949

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi jds1949,

I was coming to a similar conclusion to you. My only concern is that that the birth of George Edwin Norris was registered in Q3 1880 whereas the baptism was in Q2 1880. Perhaps it was just registered late. I suppose the only way I can be certain is to invest in a couple of birth certificates.

I see that you are intersted in the Swarbrick surname. Do you know anything about the Joseph Swarbrick who married Ann Audley on 5th October 1851 at St Patrick's (RC) church, Liverpool?

Regards
Brian

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

The baptism was on the 12th May so the child was born probably on or about the 10th May. Birth could have been registered in June - so only three / four weeks after the event - not that unusual.

Joseph Swarbrick born 3rd March 1831 at West Derby, second child of eight of James and Elizabeth [Williams] Swarbrick. He and Ann/Hannah Audley had nine children before her death on 28th January 1885. He then re-married to a Susannah Tomlinson in November 1885 - he had small children to look after.

I have census entries etc  - if you want more just pm me with an email address and I'll send you a file.

jds1949

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 December 11 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi jds1949,

I have sust sent you a pm

Regards
Brian