Author Topic: Dunham of Witchford  (Read 1955 times)

Offline chinngis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunham of Witchford
« on: Thursday 22 December 11 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help me with finding the birth place and baptism dates for John Dunham and  Alice Gill both of Witchford. Census returns show them both as being  born in Witchford. The parish records also show their marriage in Witchford on the 9th August 1824 with both shown as of this parish, however, neither are listed in the baptism records for the parish.

I have found an Alice Gill baptised at Holy Trinity Ely in 1805 which may be the one I am looking for but there is no sign of John or of a Robert Dunham who was a witness at the wedding. IGI and FreeReg have also drawn a blank.

Are there non conformist records for the area that I can search or can anyone give me a hint on where to look?

Thanks

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Dunham of Witchford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 11 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

As John was a widower on the 1851 how do you know Alice was born Witchford.  :-\

Rosie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinngis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 11 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Good point, I'm jumping to conclusions again.

There was a Gill family (John & Ann) in Witchford at the right time. They have children born between 1797 and 1818 and have a nice gap around 1805 for my Ely baptism to slot into. However, all the other children were baptised in Witchford, so nice solution but no proof.

Thanks for the reply, all information is useful.

Martin

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 December 11 14:34 GMT (UK) »
On the 1841 census there is an Alice Dunham with children William 1826, Mary 1827, John 1833, Alice 1837 and baby Ann 1841-Father not on the census, so maybe he was elswhere on census night. There is also a John Gill 1776-aged 65 who maybe Alice's father on the census. The births would fit in with the 1824 marriage you have. However it has Alice down as 30yrs born 1811, which is probably incorrect as the 1841 census was rounded up/down to the nearest five years for adults quite often I believe.  There is also an Alice Dunham who died aged 42 years and was buried 11/1/1848 in Witchford, which would fit in with John being a widower on the 1851 census.
I also looked on the Cambridge searchable database and found Alice Gill born Ely to John and Ann 1805, which is the one you found as well I would think, so father John in both cases.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline chinngis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paco

The family you identify on the 1841 Census is the correct one although I have slightly different birth dates and there was another son Thomas who was born and died in 1842.

The information on John Gill 1776 is new for me so I will follow this up. Thanks for taking the time to respond and if you do ever come across John Dunham please let me know.

Martin

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin, Paco and Rosie,

Just tuning into this thread as i've only just found my own connection to the Dunhams of Witchford. Looks like I might be about a generation out of synch though.

http://www.familytreeuk.co.uk/dunham/

If it's of any help, i've also previously stumbled across the GILL family in Littleport (although can't remember off-hand the time period).
Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.