Author Topic: anne mcleod  (Read 14677 times)

Offline chris63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
anne mcleod
« on: Thursday 22 December 11 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information on my great great grandma. She was born in the Lochbroome area around 1850.
She married John Murray in 1873 in Argyll before going to live in Wales. On her marriage certificate her parents are John McLeod and Anne (?nee Micheal) At the time of her marriage she gives her address as Polglass, Lochbroome.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: anne mcleod
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 11 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There is this 1861 census entry as a possible for Ann with family. Everyone is showing as born in Coigach, Ross Shire, except for mother:

John Mcleod 55 tenant (?farming likely)
Ann Mcleod 50 b. Apt, Sutherland Shire
Janet Mcleod 38
John Mcleod 24
Mary Mcleod 18
Ann Mcleod 14
Kenneth Mcleod 12

Address: Polglass, Lochbroom

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 11 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome from me too  :)

I've just returned from the Polglass/Achiltibuie area. I know the Polglass township very well as some of my oldest friends live there and I've researched their families. On first glance, you might be related to them but I'd have to do some detailed checks on what I have. I've also got a fair amount of information on the Polglass familes in general.

McLeod is the most common surname in the area so you have to be very careful tracing them.

One of our members has done quite a lot of work on the Coigach area and put it online here:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coigach/

Polglass section here:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coigach/polgl.htm

You could go through the various pages of the general section and the specific section to see any links and get a background to the area.

I'll go through the files and get back to you.

Regards

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 11 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I've just been looking at the Polglass/Coigach site and see that the family are at Ref 51-61. The notes give links to other censuses and say that John was born Achnahaird which is on the north side of the peninsular. If so, they might only be distantly related to my Polglass friends but might well be related to some other friends who are still in Achnahaird. I think they were originally from Assynt way back.

Anne, her mother, down as born Assynt.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 December 11 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I notice that the marriage cert of 1873 in Ballachulish has Anne's address as Polglass and lists her father as John Mcleod, tailor, deceased and mother as Anne maiden surname Michael. The family identified looks very likely; being a tailor did not preclude being a tenant/crofter as well*

Anne is down as aged 24 in 1873. 

gnu

* see 71-40 on the Coigach site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coigach/polgl.htm#71-40

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 11 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Anne's mother, Anne died 12 Feb 1884 at Muir of Ord, parish of Urray, Rossshire.  Widow of John Mcleod, master tailor. Aged 75
Her parents are given as John Michael, shepherd and Janet, maiden surname Ross. Both deceased.

Son, John McLeod,  was the informant.

gnu

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 December 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
John McLeod, died at Polglass on 25 June 1873, aged 74.

His parents were Kenneth Mcleod, weaver and Kett*, maiden surname McKenzie.

Son John was the informant.

gnu

* probably for  Ketty, - Kitty - Kate - Catherine

Offline chris63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 December 11 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.
I will follow this up.
chris :)

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 December 11 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Chris,

I have photocopies of most of the Lochbroom P.R., I see a marriage 3 January, 1828 of "John McLeod Badintarbit and Ann McMichael Shinisgag".

Sionascaig one of the small settlements, mostly shepherds and a few servants, on the northern edge of Coigach, not surprising Ann was born in neighbouring Assynt. In the same file as Achnahaird, near the end (nother.htm), are a number of interrelated Michael familys. The surname still occurs in the area; Joan Michael at Ullapool writes the Column "Lochbroom Blethers" in the RossShire Journal.

John born Achnahaird may be tied to the family there at 41-3, and Achiltibuie 41-44, or not, livng at Badentarbat 1828 indicates either the family moved, or he did...

Badentarbat failed in 1842, most families removed to neighbouring farms, and the place becoming a sheep farm.

All the best,

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.