Author Topic: Wynne, Jones family  (Read 2328 times)

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wynne, Jones family
« on: Monday 26 December 11 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to track back my family history. My great great great grandparents were Margaret Jones(nee Wynne) and Edward Jones. I have been unable to go back further with Edward Jones other than he was born in Eglwysfach about 1798. Their daughter Sarah Ann Jones was born in Philadelphia in 1837 and I would love to know more about:-
Edwards ancestors
Why they went to USA
Why they came back

Margaret's parents were David Wynne - dob 1785 Joannah Hughes(related to nathan Hughes)
Margarets grandparents were David Wynne - 1756 and Ann Williams
and Jane Owen - dob 1752 and Hugh Hughes
I have some ancestors names but would like them confirmed and any information would be gratefully received for any or all of them.

Thanks

Gill

Offline Caryn_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wynne, Jones family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 11 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill

I hope this information will be of some use to you. Here is some of what I have located.

Was your Margaret Wynne born around 1812? You don’t actually say in your original post when she was born.  The Margaret Wynne I can locate was born around 1812 in Bedwellty, Monmouthsire, Wales (according to census records).

For Margaret’s parents I also find them as being David Wynne (born about 1786 in Cardiganshire and death 10 December 1785 in Monmouthshire) and Joannah Hughes (born about 1779 in Monmouthshire and death about July 1853 in Monmouthshire).

David Wynne’s parents I also find as being David Wynne (born about 1756 and death 8 January 1848 in Monouthshire) and Ann Williams (born unknown, however, death about 1841). This David Wynne seems to have a bit of history with the Calvanistic Methodist Church at Paran built in 1828. The Nathan Hughes you refer to was this David Wynnes grandfather. There is a photo of the sign from outside the church with a little of David’s history – do you have this photo? Not sure if you do or not, however, the one I have found I've attached for you.

All of the census records seem to indicate that Edward was born around 1801 rather than 1798. However, not uncommon for people to be slightly out with the years back then.

Edward Jones died on 19 October 1874 in Monmouth, Monmouthshire, Wales. There is a record in the England & Wales National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations) relating to Edward’s will that you might like to investigate. This record might actually confirm his exact date and year of birth as well.

The census records actually indicate that Margaret and Edward’s daughter Sarah Ann was born in Philadelphia in 1834 (not 1837), as in the 1851 census she is already 17 years old. There is also a brother David (10), sister Joannah (4) and another brother Edward Thomas (2). There is also a 24 year old David Jones listed as a visitor (a relative perhaps)?

In the 1861 census there is another daughter listed – 3 year old Augustus (however this could be incorrectly transcribed and perhaps should be Augusta).

Sarah Ann Jones went on to marry a Thomas Morgan (born 1836) and they had 9 children that I can find. Sarah Ann Morgan died around December 1895.

Edward Thomas Jones went on to marry Elizabeth Wynne Morgan (1849-1914) and they had 3 children that I can find. Edward Thomas Jones died in 1925.

Getting a bit late here and I'm falling asleep, so I hope some of this is useful. Drawing a bit of a blank on details for Edward's parents though, but will keep looking for you though. In the meantime, perhaps someone else might come up with something for you.

Cheers
Caryn
Boulden (Cornwall: UK & AUS)
Page, Coxhead, King (AUS)
Glover, Gorham, Stratford (UK & AUS)
Gibson, Tandy, Allum, Savage (UK)
McAndrew (Scotland)
Klein, Deppe, Luth, Emmerich, Studt (Germany & AUS)

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 12 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this. I did manage to find most of this information and my parents were married in this chapel. The same as you have found other information about Edward Jones non existant before he was born. Would be grateful if you find anything else. x

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 12 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

When did Edward and Margaret marry?

I found this possible entry in "Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945"

Edward JONES    Bricklayer
Margaret JONES wife
Port of Departure: Newport, Wales
Ship: Sea Flower
Arrival: 21 Aug 1832,  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

It says the "Country to which belonging" is England but I've seen this before for Welsh nationals, on some lists it seems Wales doesn't exist at all!

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 12 13:03 GMT (UK) »
This is amazing....especially since you are able to find time to help others. I don't have the date of their marriage however this sounds right as their daughter was born about 1837.

Please feel free to send me any more information and once again thanks very much

Gill

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 12 16:00 GMT (UK) »

I think this looks like their marriage, found at  https://www.familysearch.org/

Edward JONES 
Margaret WYNNE 
28 May 1831 
Bedwelty, Monmouth

Maybe some else here will know know where to view the original to see if it has any helpful info on it.
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)