Author Topic: Single mother in 1799 perhaps in Worfield and Limbutts buildings  (Read 10878 times)

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
Single mother in 1799 perhaps in Worfield and Limbutts buildings
« on: Tuesday 27 December 11 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I know that my g-g-g-g-gmother Jemima Bishton was base-born in Oct 1799 to "Mary Bishton of Limbots", which is near Stableford and Worfield.

I have also found the birth of a boy, John (also base-born) in Donington, in Oct 1801 to a Mary Bishton. I do not know if Jemima and John are related.

I have been unable, after many ++ hours of hunting, to find out any more about Mary and the kind of life she and Jemima would have had. I have also been unable to find out anything about Limbots beyond what I have listed here, and that information came via a RootsChatter.

I know Jemima married Benjamin Thomas of the Royal Navy (who was much older than her) in 1818 in Bristol, very possibly when she was pregnant with her first child, Clarissa. Somehow, along the way, she had acquired the surname 'Collins' - no marriage for Mary Biston to a Mr Collins seems to exist, but Jemima gives her father's name as Thomas Collings - solicitor - on her marriage certificate in 1856. (Another puzzle!)   ;)

Is there any way I can find out more about Mary and Jemima (and possibly John) between 1800 and the 1841 Census? By 1841, Benjamin Thomas had been deceased for about 15 years, I estimate - I have narrowed his death down to the years between 1820 and 1827 (most likely 1826-27), and know nothing about his birth.

If anyone is able to offer any suggestions or help, I will be very grateful as I have totally run out of ideas! :-\

Regards,
OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Single mother in 1799 perhaps in Worfield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi OzJen :)

Just a thought...have you viewed the actual parish register (or a direct copy) or just a transcription, of Jemima's baptism?  I was wondering whether "Limbots" could be a mistranscription of the actual word.

One idea to try to discover more about Mary and her two children would be to see if any bastardy examinations or bonds, or other poor law records, exist for them.  Shropshire Archives would have these I think.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue,

who said
I was wondering whether "Limbots" could be a mistranscription of the actual word.

I don't think OzJen has a problem with 'Limbots' being the birth place of Jemima BISHTON.

I located that precise location for her in another thread last July.

I have a typed transcript of Worfield Church BDM's. Author unknown.
It lists Jemina, born 15 Oct 1799, Christened 27 Oct 1799, as the BASE dau of My BISHTON of Limbots.

Several entries for BISHTON have 'Limbots' as the address.
An old large scale map has 'Limbots Buildings' in the middle of a field.
It's South West across the road from Stableford, perhaps a mile North of Worfield.
Google Earth shows a building still there today.

Seasonal Greetings,
Gwynne
http://www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 11 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue and Gwynne,

Thanks very much for your suggestions, Prue. I will follow them up. A cursory look at the Shropshire Archives site shows lots of listiings for bastardy bonds and examinations, so I may get lucky.

Gwynne, how can I find out more about the Limbots buildings? Do you know anything more about the place? Seems an unusual name (I'm sure that's why Prue thought it could have been a mistranscription) - I'm wondering if they could have been related to the workhouse or some sort of accommodation, perhaps for ladies in need of care, like Mary Bishton? I'm very interested to know more, but have discovered there is nothing available through Google beyond what you have already been able to tell me.

Thank you, both.
OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline AileenP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 11 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi OzJen,

I have Bishtons in my tree from the South of Shropshire Worfield and Astley Abbots etc.  I think we could be connected in some way?  I have a Mary Bishton born Tasley 1842 who was my 3 x Great Grandmother. 
PARRY - Pontesbury, Pulvabatch, Shrewsbury and Broseley. Shropshire
BULLOCK- Broseley and Madeley
POPE - Cleobury Mortimer, Clun, Shrewsbury, The Rock and Worcester
BROWN - Coleham and Coton Hill Shrewsbury and Leicester
AMOS- Madeley Shropshire and Yorkshire
NORTHALL - Madeley and Yorkshire
LEWIS- Llanfhiangle Denbigh, Llansaintffraid Montgomeryshire, Morton Oswestry Shrops
MULLARD - Deuxhill, Cressage, Ruyton XI Towns, Shrops
EVANS - Melverley, , Welshpool
BREEZE- Shrewsbury and many more!

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 12 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aileen,

Thanks for your message. It certainly sounds as if it could be possible. From what I've discovered so far, I know the Bishtons were quite a large family. My Mary would have been born in the 1700s and was my 5g-grandmother. I'm not 100% sure when she was born, but there was a Mary Bishton b. Donington in 1769 and I'm wondering if she's the lady I'm after as I haven't found one yet who was born later, who fits.

Let's keep an eye on it and see if a connection comes up.

Cheers,
OzJen  :)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 January 12 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm from Yorkshire so make allowances,

Prue is Right as she usually is the name is Limbutts buildings and remnants are is still there.

Put 'Limbutts buildings Stableford' in Google Search

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Click on ;- Get Maps in top across menu

Next page Click on  Gazetteer

Next page click on S and or scroll down to and click on  Shropshire

Next page Click on S in top menu

Next page scroll down to Stableford

Next page select maps from small menu on the right and select 1981 map -click on Enlarge map in blue
then under the larger square click enhanced Zoom in red

Then go and make a cupa as its very slow to appear

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 January 12 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Looks like some sort of building with a compound enclosure or these are later farm building maybe pig/cow shed or maybe an old convent/almshouses. Its still there or summat is and someone local may know summat about them or maybe find out the farm address then write to the farmer. There is a long back of the building footpath right of way to it from a lane at Cranmere cottage and Cranmere village or hamlet or farm on old maps also a track to a main road the opposite way.

You have a interesting quest ahead in the new year!- Good Luck and Hunting :(

Copyright image removed
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 January 12 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that infomation and the image, dobfarm - that's super!

I'm off to follow your instructions right now. Do you, or any other reader of this posting, have any idea where I can find out more about these Limbutts buildings and what they were used for? I found this link which shows a picture of the surrounding area - the buildings seem quite isolated (from the photo), which I wonder could be bit of an unusual a place for a single mother to be giving birth?
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2281529

I've become very curious about this, so any information that can add to my understanding of this time in Mary Bishton's life would be very welcome.

Cheers,
OzJen