Author Topic: James, Honora, Johanna HENNESSY-Ballybunion Co Kerry to Australia 1861  (Read 4208 times)

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James, Honora, Johanna HENNESSY-Ballybunion Co Kerry to Australia 1861
« on: Tuesday 27 December 11 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello all.
James Hennessy labourer 19y, Johanna Hennessy general servant 26y, and Honora Hennessy 22y ditto, all from Ballybunion parish, Listowel, Co Kerry, (siblings/related??) were recorded  together as a group in 1860 as being sponsored by Denis Hennessy to arrive in Sydney on the British Trident.  Their referee was the Ballybunion parish priest.
The British Trident duly arrived in Sydney on the 7 Jan 1861.
However, in the list of arrived, sponsored British Trident immigrants, published separately but contemporaneously in the Sydney Morning Herald &  the Empire, Johanna is missing. Is that unusual? She doesn't appear as a shipboard death. Is it likely she sailed later for some reason? Was that permitted under the sponsorship scheme?
Gt gt grandfather James’s origin, in the BT passenger list, is given as Gale (sic), which, thanks to the marvellous help of Rootschatters on an earlier post, I now know to be the civil parish of Galey. ( We then were able to deduce that he was from the RC parish of Ballybunion.) The Denis Hennessy sponsorship record- found yesterday, hooray! -is the first indication of  James arriving with probable relatives. (He named his 6th child/4th daughter Honora)
James & Denis are recorded in Bailliere’s 1867 directory as farmers at Hexham (Hunter River, NSW)   
 I have no further info on either of the women, can't be sure if, when & whom they may have married, though there are some possibilities. Anyone have light to shed on Joanna or Honora??
I’ll try to attach snippets!!
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: James, Honora, Johanna HENNESSY-Ballybunion Co Kerry to Australia 1861
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Re Honora:

Marriage at Carcoar NSW 1868.

2010/1868  Groom COLLETS  JOHN  Bride HENNESSY  HONORA  at CARCOAR

AND TWO (MODIFIED) THREE POSSIBLES

4935/1881  GroomGRUGEON  HENRY  BRIDE HENNESSY  JOHANNAH  at DENILIQUIN 
5668/1881  Groom SWAIN  HENRY  Bride HENNESSY  JOHANNAH  at ORANGE

+ 6291/1885  Groom DRUMMOND  GEORGE J  Bride HENNESSY  JOHANNA  at PENRITH 

Neil 
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Neil!
Hope your festivities were duly..er.. festive!  ;D

The Johanna Hennessy who married John Collets was born in 1852 in Camden, NSW..so we can discount her.

(I'd like to establish whether my Johanna actually made it to Australia post 1860-61- hence the cry to R/Chatters for help. I suspect that this could take some (more) considerable time...sigh....but, until I do, potential marriages will be filed with the Possibles (you all know that file!!)  :-\

Honorah/Honora/Norah is also a mystery, but at least, since she arrived, she must be recorded in some guise somewhere, possibly as Norah Hennessy marrying Ronald Giles in Wellington NSW in 1880... Any & all info v. gratefully considered
Cheers, Ann 
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Seems Honora Hennessy is a popular name ::)

I have two born in NSW both 1855 to two different parents unfortunately it doesn't say where though. But it does tell me that they wouldn't be getting married in 1868 at Carcoar, either would have been only 13  :o :o
How did you find the 1852

Neil

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 01:58 GMT (UK) »
The birth date,  location, parents' names and marital status (natural) are on a family tree associated with the Collits. The NSW BDM index details that seem to confirm it are below 

HENNESSEY Honora Father Andrew Mother Mary (Ryan)V 18522754/69.

(Mother's surname doesn't appear on BDM index, though)

btw, Neil, do you have much local knowledge of Hexham, apart from the Greys??
I've been trying for years to locate the site of the Hennessy's farm there on Old Maitland Rd. 40 odd years ago my grandmother Hennessy told me it was where the Oak factory/milk bar stood. Can this be confirmed?   ???

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 04:20 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't tell you prior to the Oak, it has been an Icon fixture all my life. However my earliest recollections go back to the Bridge opening and a trip north to Kempsey.

There is an interesting piece on Wikipeadia about Hexham which goes into some detail. Those who settled the area still have some very early farmhouses. One at Upper Hexham (Tarro) is still in existence. The road has altered direction a few times and has remained in its sort of present form from since the early 1950's.

If you have a look at Google Earth it sort of shows some of the early roads, one being I think Woodlands which may have been the earliest road. There are some farms still on this road.

We all tend to look at what is there now, it is almost unrecognisbale to me

Offline NorthKerryRO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 December 11 14:27 GMT (UK) »
It would appear she did not travel. A penalty of £4 was paid because of this. I might have some more relevant information.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline NorthKerryRO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 December 11 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Johanna apparently "declined to emigrate". €4 penalty was paid to the colony. This family came from Tullamore in Galey parish Listowel. There are baptismal records available for them