Author Topic: 1841 census look-up, please (Hants?)  (Read 744 times)

Offline miss marple

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 census look-up, please (Hants?)
« on: Wednesday 11 May 05 08:54 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for WILLIAM HENRY FRY, born around 1831 in Lymington, Hants. According to his marriage certificate his father was William Fry, whose occupation was possibly bootmaker (but very difficult to read). Although I haven't been able to find William Henry's baptism record in the Hampshire Record Office, he puts Lymington as his birthplace in every census, so he may have been brought up there even if he wasn't actually born there.

He married Elizabeth Cox in Chingford, Essex in 1858, and I have found him in every census from 1861-1901. He was a coachman/domestic servant for most of his life and moved around a lot, from Tottenham to Walthamstow to Brighton.

If anyone can find him and his parents in 1841 (or 1851) I'll be ecstatic!

Thanks for looking.

Jane ???

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census look-up, please (Hants?)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 13:30 GMT (UK) »
BUMP

Hopefully a fresh set of eyes can help - you have been waiting ages for a reply!

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline Sally P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

I thought I might be the "fresh set of eyes" Anna spoke of but I am afraid I did not find any FRY entries in Lymington 1841. perhaps someone might help when the 1841 comes online.

Regards
Sally

Offline miss marple

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Anna and Sally, for your efforts. This one is posing a real problem!

Since posting my query I think I have found a possibility in the 1851, indexed as FREY and living at Tower Hamlets – William and Ann of Beaulieu and their nine children, including a William of the right age for my William Henry. Only problem is the father's occupation – farrier – doesn't match up with that on the marriage certificate I have.

From the children's birthplaces it looks as though they were still living in Hampshire in 1841, so I shall certainly be scouring the 1841 census for more clues when it's available!

Thanks again.

Jane