Author Topic: Pearson births  (Read 3123 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pearson births
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 December 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Just trying to make sense of this.    Could William Dixon Willis have died in America so Jane came back and married John Pearson?  I can't find them on passenger lists so far.
I think the 1910 may be a red herring but won't dismiss it just yet.
Andrea

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 December 11 12:25 GMT (UK) »
William Dixon Willis could have died in Pennsylvania, unfortunately no records online to help us with that scenerio - Jane could then have returned to the UK and married John Pearson. Perhaps the marriage certificate would help clarify  ???

The 1910 Census seems a strange one - both Jane and William fit, as does the age of Mary Willis/Brubaker. Tried to follow Mary Brubaker in an effort to count or discount her.  Found an entry for the Brubaaker family on find a grave -  which lists Mary Rankin Brubaker born 1866 and died 1932 Burns Hill Cemetery.  Waynesboro. Franklin County. Pennsylvania.  Also Herbert Brubaker who was also listed on that strange 1910 census. So perhaps this helps discount them - all the names on that census must be coincidence.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=47475636

Didn't have time to check son Willliam yesterday but he remains William Willis on the 1901 UK census. Appears to have married Elizabeth Bateman in December 1889 at Auckland. County Durham. 10a 351 - have you got the marriage certificates for William and Jonathan ?
This would also discount William (the son who appeared on the 1910 census - so it was truly a red-herring)

Unfortunately no UK Incoming Passenger Lists until 1878 so we cannot see Jane & her family returning. Looks like the immigration for the Willis family should be about 1865 but haven't come across any entries for them so far.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 December 11 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Only started on this line in the last couple of days so no certificates as yet though I have the Willis/Proctor marriage details from Durhamrecordsonline.    I might see if I can find the 1875 one from the same source otherwise I will order it from the GRO.  I do think she will have been a widow though judging from the evidence so far.  I can find her in 1841 and 51 with her parents and she consistently gives Cockfield as her place of birth later too. 
I think Jonathan dies before the 1911 census.  There is a suitable entry for him.  Not sure if he married.
Thanks for all the help.
Andrea

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 December 11 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - just looked back at the notes from yesterday and I omitted to say I thought Jonathan had married Hannah Rudd at Auckland - September 1891 - 10 a 331. Did notice Hannah was widowed in 1911. Is it the Lanchester death June 1910 for Jonathan Willis aged 39 years - 10a 182

Jonathan and Hannah also named a son born in 1904 as Jonathan Dixon Willis (married in 1934 to 10 a 475 (Hilda Hodgson)

Noticed anc family tree today for William Dixon Willis and Jane Proctor and John  Pearson.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 December 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
New york Passenger List shows Jonathan Willis - 1874 - Aged about 30 years, Married. 
Travelling Glasgow Scotland to New York arriving 5 March 1904 on the Ethiopia.
Realise the age is slightly out but he looks to be yours.  The column "Nationality" - "Country of last permanent Residence" was a little messy so could not read properly. Last residence was Durham. Jonathan was going to Des Moines. Iowa. Passage was paid for by Wilson Robinson, 1823 franklin Avenue, Des Moines. Iowa. . Jonathan answered the question "Have you ever been in the United States before" - Yes, 27 years ago - PA.  ;)

Haven't found him on UK Ingoing though.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 December 11 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Jacob is Jacob Pearson on the 1901 UK census. There is a marriage at Lanchester in June 1901 - 10a 585 to Hannah Gails.  That is the family he was lodging with in 1901.  Nothing unusual in the naming pattern of their children in 1911 - similar to his own half-siblings.

Sandra

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 December 11 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all this.  Have looked at the ancestry trees but am not convinced by their accuracy.   (That is an understatement!)  They seem to be somewhat muddled.  Death for WDW in Durham age 99 or death age 66 which is clearly wrong as it is for a birth in 1871.  Some have him in Pennsylvania too with Herbert Brubaker as a child of Jane.  Will try and discover which bits are correct later.
Andrea

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 December 11 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry trees - obviously some one with a "work-in-progress" trying to piece the family together and collecting which records they think are appropriate.  Think we all know not to trust the content of some of these trees, without checking the sources ourselves. Think the Brubaker connection was discounted earlier, William Willis on that was a commercial traveller, your William was married and a coal-miner hewer in 1911 living at 42 B Street New Town Birtley. Durham.

Another tree owner claims a William Dixon Willis who died in 1937 (so born 1871 Esh. Winning. County Durham and married to Margaret Barnes - Chester Le Street. June 1894 - 10a 720

There was a William Willis born 1868 who died in Durham Northern 1948 - aged 80 years - 1a 367 which was more of a match for yours.  Especially when an Elizabeth Willis  born 1866 also died in Durham North Eastern in 1945 aged 79 years - 10a 744. Could be the wife of your William  ???

Nice to see some photographs of young Jonathan Dixon Willis and Mother Hannah Rudd on one of the trees.

Sandra

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 December 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
All fascinating.  The line I am following is the Pearson/Proctor one so it is Jane that I need to sort out rather than William Willis, though I do like to tidy up loose ends.  I think I will have to get her second marriage certificate to see if it says widowed.
Andrea