Author Topic: Nelson House, Nelson Street. Manchester  (Read 2118 times)

Offline mattisonallen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nelson House, Nelson Street. Manchester
« on: Sunday 01 January 12 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 I am looking for information regarding the large house, which once stood next to 60/62 Nelson st (pankhurst) fame. The house was called Nelson house and was also close to oxford house. It sat in it`s own grounds and was some sort of hospital. It seemed to treat a lot of famous people and could be contacted to E Pankhurst. I have two albums which have a number of drawings,poems,art work etc from the guests staying in the late 1800`s and early 1900`s. The name of the wards? Engenie and Clara. Please contact me if you could help in any way. Regards Paul.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nelson House, Nelson Street. Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 12 13:40 GMT (UK) »

Offline lizjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nelson House, Nelson Street. Manchester
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 19 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’m afraid I can’t tell you anything about Nelson House, but I thought I’d pass on a tiny nugget of information in case it helps. I’m researching a lady called Emma Shaw who died there in 1901. She had serious, ongoing mental health problems, and was an alcoholic. She died aged 50 at Nelson House of chronic alcoholism, haemorrhagic gastritis and exhaustion on 2 September 1901. She was well-travelled in the UK and abroad, and had spent time in various institutions from London to Devon. She was a wealthy lady, and may well have self-funded her stay there. If there are any drawings, poems or artwork of hers in your albums, I’d be very interested to see a photo! Liz