Author Topic: 1851 look up request - Latham  (Read 895 times)

Offline gillj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1851 look up request - Latham
« on: Wednesday 11 May 05 12:38 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to solve the problem of Kezia Latham's parentage.
I have her birth certificate which shows Richard & Jemima Latham as the parents in 1839, her marriage certificate does not show a father's name (could this just be because he was already dead?).
The 1841 census has her as the daughter of Richard Latham.
On the later 1861 census entries she shows up as the daughter of the Bailey family (lying about her age) so could her older 'sister' Mary be her real mother?
I was wondering what she shows up as on 1851?

Thanks
Gillj
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hammond - Cheshire/Lancashire
Penn - Cumberland
Brooke - Ireland
Stark - Scotland
Jenkins - Newent,Gloucestershire
Wakeley/Morris/Stubbs - Shropshire

Offline Allie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 look up request - Latham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillj

Keziah is in Donnington Wood with as follows

Joseph Latham, H, Widow, 30, Stone miner
Thomas Latham, brother, U, 19, Stone miner
John Latham, brother, U, 16, Scholar
Keziah Latham, Sister, U, Scholar

All born Lilleshall

So far I can find no Richard and Jemima but that does not mean they are not there. Some pages are very faint and impossible to read.

I'll go back and have another look when I have a bit more time

Allie
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire research interests: Betton, Boliver, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Griffiths, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Rogers, Weston, Wilson

Offline gillj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks

I think Richard died in 1843 (I found an entry in the right area) so possibly Jemima died as well hence Keziah being brought up by her older sister.

Gillj
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Penn - Cumberland
Brooke - Ireland
Stark - Scotland

Offline Baudoux

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

After reading your request, I had to post a reply for what it is worth to you.

I am a senior who resides in Nova Scotia, Canada and I have been involved in genealogy for close to 15 years.  I am searching the HUMPHERSON AND LEESE LINES.

On my Leese Line I have Charles Lees, Born: 1842, Died April 3, 1922, Age 80 yrs.  Married Keziah Latham, she was born 1843, died Nov. 15, 1923.  Charles was a coal miner.

This is what I have:   In the 1841 Census, Keziah age 1 was living with her parents in Donnington Wood, Richard Latham (45)  stoneminer, Jemima, wife (45) ;  daughter Mary (15);  Margaret (13);  Thomas (10);  John (6).

In the 1851 Census, Keziah was age 11 and living with her brother, Joseph (30) stoneminer who was a widower.  Keziah was listed a being an orphan.  Also John (16) and Thomas (15 is living with them.

In the 1861 census (105 Lilleshall - Ann Bailey (14), John Bailey 43;  Keziah Latham age 18 (pitgirl), Marie Bailey (37) and Sarah Marie Bailly (5)

In 1891 Keziah and Charles had Marie Bailly living with them.  Marie was listed as being the mother of Keziah.

Charles Leese and Keziath Latham married April 2, 1864 in Shifnal, Shrop.

Would love to hear from you if any of this has helped anway in your search

Regards,

Doris Baudoux

Offline gillj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Doris,

This is the same family and I'm still confused and need to do some more investigation, to be honest I haven't looked at this bit for a while! I think I need to find out how Marie Bailey fits in, eg is she Keziah's older sister?

How do you fit in with the Leese family? Charles Lees(e) was my husband's great great grandfather on his mothers side his daughter Martha Marie having married Thomas Wakeley.

We live locally to Donnington and will persue this further and let you know anything I find out.

Best wishes
Gill

Penn - Cumberland
Brooke - Ireland
Stark - Scotland

Offline Baudoux

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gill,

My great-great-great grandparents were William Lees & Jane Ward.  Brother of William Lees was James who married Ann Williams.  James & Ann's son John married Hannah Cooper.  John and Hannah had the following children: Charles, John, Elizabeth and Edward.

My ancestors come from Donnington Wood, Shropshire.  The old family home was right on the canal.  The Lines I am searching are HUMPHERSON/LEES.  My maternal great grandparents are: Thomas Humpherson & Mary Hodgkiss.  My Paternal great grandparents are Thomas Lees & Sarah Ann Bradley.

I am a senior who lives in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Any further information I can provide, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Regards,

Doris Baudoux