Author Topic: Ever heard of the name "Bouaty"?  (Read 4691 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Ever heard of the name "Bouaty"?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't doubt it has been written as "Bouaty", but I think it was meant to represent "Beauty", especially given the time frame.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline polly88

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 January 12 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Why is it unlikely to be a foreign name?  Given that we now know Bouaty exists as a name, surely that's what it is?
Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland.
Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds)
Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool
Milnes - Leeds & Ripon
Banister - Preston
Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland
Ireland - Prescot
McDonough - Liverpool
Quirk - Liverpool
Hunt - St Helens
Tickle - St Helens

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 05 January 12 11:40 GMT (UK) »
In a Norfolk accent  'Beauty' is pronounced Booty - when I first saw it I thought it was the writer's attempt to write Beauty (which is quite a complicated spelling really) but heard in a Norfolk accent. Not explained it very well  ::)  Then I saw this wasn't in Norfolk so back to the drawing board...... My money's on a mis-spelling of Beauty.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 05 January 12 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I think the answer to unravelling this is to find out more about the family - perhaps if the Op came back and told us what else they know about the family it would help
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 05 January 12 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Why is it unlikely to be a foreign name?  Given that we now know Bouaty exists as a name, surely that's what it is?

It still could be a foreign name, but I was referring to the post about the current instances of it being on the subcontinent. Given the era, its unlikely to have its origin there.
Also given the era, the chances of a mis-spelling are quite high, with or without an accent.
My Dowdeswell's had been in London for several generations, but there are some wacky variations of the spelling in the 1700's.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 January 12 06:40 GMT (UK) »
It's a real name, but it's Hmong or at least Laotian. Ancestry lists a Bouaty Her, and I know that Her is a Hmong name...we have lots of Hmong people here.

Beauty, on the other hand....there are pages and pages of them on Ancestry.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline edwards96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 14 January 12 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this issue ;)(sorry for the late reply).  Unfortunately the baptism record is the only source of information I know of referring to the name "Bouaty." I've tried searching for "Bounty"and "Beauty" on Ancestry in the London area however there seems to be no reliable results for the 1700s. It's a shame really because we'll never know for sure who this "bouaty" is and whether or not she was born in another country.  ???