Author Topic: David Roderick Jones " Llanbadarn"  (Read 10456 times)

Offline hit a wall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Roderick Jones " Llanbadarn"
« on: Wednesday 04 January 12 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Any help will be fantastic..! Looking for marriage and birth dates for:

David Roderick Jones born abt 1851 (Llanbadarn) Married Hannah ....? born 1856 (bettws)

Had son Evan Roderick Jones born 1880

Got them all in merthyr tydfil 1881 census right through

Any help on birth and marriage dates for David and Hannah would be lovely..!!

Cheers

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: David Roderick Jones " Llanbadarn"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 12 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, welcome to Rootschat and Cardiganshire.   You seem to have a bit of a problem as there does not appear to be a birth record on freeBMD between 1848 and 1855 for David Roderick Jones, plenty of David Jones and a few with middle names beginning with 'R'.   The 1881 census gives his place of birth as Cardigan, Wales and his wife and son as Bettws, Cardigan, Wales.   The birth of his son, Evan Roderick Jones, is registered in 1880 March quarter, Lampeter district, vol 11b, page 37.   It is probable that David and Hannah were married in Lampeter district, which includes Bettws Bledrws.

You may wish to obtain a copy of Evan Roderick Jones's birth certificate from GRO using the reference above.   This certificate will give you, among other things, his mother's maiden name and with this you may be able to track down her marriage.   As a complete guess there is a marriage of a David Jones and Hannah Davies 1878 December quarter, Lampeter district, vol 11b, page 55 on freeBMD.

Best of luck with your quest, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline hit a wall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dave.

Your reply very much appreciated, yes, seems there are 100`s of David Jones`s and unluckily quite a number married to a Hannah as well...!!!

Yes, i will take your advice and send for the birth cert for "Evan Roderick" which may break a bit of info down.

I did find last night the christening record for Evan Roderick Jones:

15th of Feb 1880, Betws,Bledrws,cardigan.

Again many thanks for your reply and will go after the Birth cert. Fingers Crossed

cheers
Darren

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 12 17:53 GMT (UK) »
We Joneses are a problem and with any luck Hannah won't be a Jones as well.............

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 May 12 19:23 BST (UK) »
The magic words Betws Bledrws caught my eye...
You may have seen this, but there there is a marriage between David Jones and Hannah in Betws Bledrws church in 1878 - which fits Dave's Freebmd entry. 

David  Jones age 27 (occupation: labourer) father Evan Jones  (Profession given as Labourer)
Grooms residence given as Blaenplwyf and Brides residence given as Derry Ormond, so possibly her father worked on the Derry Ormond estate.
Hannah Davies age 24 father Saml Davies (Profession given as Carpenter)
19 Oct 1878 Bettws Bleddrws  Cardiganshire

Best wishes, Jen

Offline hit a wall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 May 12 20:02 BST (UK) »
Yep all 100% correct, cheers Jen.

I sent for the cert and all the same as your info provided.. one question.... being new to all this where or how do you see all that info....? i have sent for loads of certs and wasted £10 every time, how do i get to see the info you posted.

Also what would be your tip on how to Trace David Jones, his father and find who his mother was, any help be fantastic,

There are millions of Jones and Davies  and to make it worsE again, there are also thousands of um David and Hannah LOL....!!!!

Again many thanks

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 10:47 BST (UK) »
Dear Darren
Good question.  Being of Cardi stock I rarely buy a birth cert...unless I am absolutely sure.

Census returns with names and address began in 1841 - and then were every ten years, EXCEPT for 1931 (destroyed in WW2), and 1941 (wartime). Census info at the mo is only published showing names after 100 years, so the 1921 census is due out 2022..

TO search a census return online you need to have
either
ancestry.co.uk OR findmypast.co.uk membership - which is expensive.  I personally prefer findmypast BECAUSE they have excellent facilities for searching the Cardiganshire church registers - althought their transcription of Welsh names is generally at a poor level, but onen gets used to it.
OR
access to a public library which may have access to both these OR a local archives facility, OR in Wales, access to the NATIONAL LIBRARY of WALES in ABerystwyth. ...to be continued...

I

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 10:49 BST (UK) »
...continued...
To learn, your best bet would be to find a local evening class - or similar.  There is an apparently vast mountain to learn, but honestly, once you have been shown something once (or twice!) it is easy to pick up.
I will have a quick look to see what I can find on DJ and his parents, and then if I find anything I will tell you where to look, but NOT give you the answers... !
cheers

J

Offline jencairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 12:27 BST (UK) »
David Jones, and Evan Jones - thousands to consider... on the other hand I can find the father of Hannah in the 1881 census, living in Bettws Bledrws - and a widower, and an illegitimate granddaughter in the house - and I can find her baptism in Betws B. church where I think the mothers name is given as either Sarah or Jane (squiggly writing).  Evan(John in English) - hundreds of them, and many many in the Aber area of birth (llanbadarn, so I presumed Aberystwyth)

Samuel Davies, born c. 1814, married to Elizabeth Jones of Ty'r Lon,   March 30th 1840, occupation Carpenter. Samuel living in the Mill Bettws Bledrws, FATHER of Samuel = William Davies Miller, and Father of Elizabeth = Lewis Jones, Gamekeeper (probably worked in Derry Ormond - and the Mill (Saw Mill) also owned by the Derry Ormond family.  ALl this info from the Parish Register on line with findmypast.  NB  Luckily they are good on Bettws B ! - not so good in other Cardiganshire parishes.    NB gamekeepers tended not to be local boys (for obvious reasons) so that branch probably originally came from elsewhere... even England. 

Cheers  Jen