Author Topic: Newbie problems  (Read 3371 times)

Offline WidnesSandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newbie problems
« on: Wednesday 04 January 12 22:04 GMT (UK) »
This system is quite difficult to start to use. The screens which you think may be of help are very verbose and do not address the basics of getting started. I have used systems over many years but have have not had so much problem with other similar systems. I have been struggling for over two hours to get to grips with how to post and make contact with people who might  have a common a interest. WidnesSandy

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie problems
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.   :)

I am sorry that you have found it difficult to understand.  We do try to give explanations on how to post.  I hope that you found the Help pages and the FAQ.  And have you seen the Surname Interest Board?

However, now that you have successfully made your first post, we hope that you will find your way to your areas of interest and are able to make many more posts.  :)

Best wishes
Nell
One of the RootsChat Moderators

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WidnesSandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 22:46 GMT (UK) »
The source of the problem is that your system is non intuitive. If you go to so called help screens, then you are faced with a long list of does and don'ts for sending messages but the sequence of events to send a message to people with possible common interest are not spelt out. You use terms which are only familiar to those who are routinely using your system and are pretty meaningless to a new user. The simple sequence of making contact with anyone is hidden in your semantics. Hope these comments will help in refining the user interface. I was not aware that replies would come via my email service and not on your mesaging system. There was no provision for connoting directly to another user!! Regards N Sandland

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 23:11 GMT (UK) »
You get used to it quite quickly and then it is really easy and clever - and I'm not very cluey with computers!

Welcome to RC - we are very friendly really!    ;)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 23:23 GMT (UK) »
You can't contact another member directly by PM until you have made 3 posts.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi N Sandland  :)

Welcome from me too.

I gather from another member that you wanted to contact me  about possible Sandland links.

I'll e-mail you with details if you'd like  (I was given your contact details) but you could also post a new 'thread' on any  of the boards that you think is appropriate or you could send me a personal message (PM) by clicking on the green scroll  on the left of this message, under my avatar

Regards

gnu

(it's often only 2,  Annette)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome to Roots

I found it very daunting at first, but I soon got used to it, the information and the people on here are amazing, so don't give up, just ask on here if you have a problem, and we will do our best to help, it will be well worth it, I have been on many sites but by far this is the best.

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

We have all been newbies on here and we know what it is like to navigate Rootschat.   It does't take long to find your way.     Stick with us, we are friendly, some clever people on here with heaps of resources and the best part is making friends with people from all over the World.

Cheers
KHP

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 January 12 00:19 GMT (UK) »
And a big welcome from me too!!

Once you have made three posts you will be able to contact people directly using the PM (Private Message) system. Messages will appear in you Rootschat inbox (and you should also get an email sent to your email address to let you know it is there).  To read your messages click on the link at the top right corner of any page which says "Welcome back, Widness Sally you have ? messages". (Click on where it says ? messages)

To contact someone direct just click on their name and go to their profile page.  At the bottom of the page it says "send this Rootschatter a personal message".  Click on that and away you go.

You will see their name on the left of any posts they have made. Or by clicking on a surname in the surname interest board you will see a list of relevant Rootschatters.

But by far the best bit of Rootschat are the various message boards and threads. By browsing through these you will pick up lots of useful hints and tips and can ask any questions you may have by starting a thread of your own. Someone will always respond - often with some amazingly helpful answers ;D ;D

Above all - have fun. :)

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk