Author Topic: Saltley Reformatory School  (Read 20879 times)

Offline dusty2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Saltley Reformatory School
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 October 12 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I have not yet seen a picture of the school. I have seen a postcard labelled Saltley Reformatory, but it was a picture of St Peter's Diocesan Training college nearby, latterly a teacher training centre before converted to other uses. Currently on Ebay there is a postcard of 'the Government Stores', which I think predated their use by BT, which may be the buildings you knew. The Archives in Birmingham City Library may have a picture of the Reformatory - I must ask next time I go there.

Offline delphinium44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 October 12 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Dusty2 -Rummaging around on the net I found an image of the Register for Norton Reformatory for one Joseph Pagett dated 1875. It was on the connecting histories site. I notice that each entry has a photograph of the inmate on admission attached. Will the entry for John William Winfield also carry a photo? Where are these original records kept? I would very much like to lay my hands on a copy of that photo if it exists!

Offline dusty2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
The Saltley Reformatory admissions register originally also had photos of the boys, and it would be brilliant if it still retained them. However, all but maybe half a dozen have been removed. It is possible that Birmingham Archives have them, so might be worth enquiring.

Offline Brummie on Exmoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 December 12 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I have also just discovered a relative in the 1891 Census in Saltley Reformatory. His name was John Henry ABLEY, and he was born in New Invention, Wolverhampton in late 1874. In 1891, his parents, Edward (a Coal Miner) and Emily ABLEY lived in Willenhall.

I would be very grateful for any information available from the records if that is possible. In particular, I would love to know his offence, how long he lived in the School, and whether he had any previous offences.

Many thanks,

Jane
FOSTER; HALL; MOUGHTON; JAMES; STEPHENS; JENNINGS; BLANCHFLOWER; HINDS; ABLEY; WAGGETT; HUTCHINSON; TRICKER; LAMB; MOLESWORTH; SWAN; HARDEN; MAYHEW; COLEMAN; HAMMOND; CROOK; MONNINGTON; TEAGUE; SLATTER; MUNN; WOOLRICH; ASSINDER.

Offline dusty2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 19:47 GMT (UK) »
OK - Saltley reformatory Admissions Register entry for John ABLEY (14)

Received: H M Prison Stafford
Description: fresh complexion; dark brown hair; blue eyes; height 4 ft 8 ins; cut (?) mark centre of forehead; mark on right thumb; burn mark left hand; good health; able bodied.
Date of reception: 18 April 1889 for 5 years
Late residence: New Invention, Wolverhampton
Parish: Wolverhampton
Work: locksmith with Mr Hill, Willenhall
Illegitimate: no
Education: can read and write very imperfectly
Offence: stealing a gold brooch
Date of sentence: 18 Mar 1889 by Henry Vaughan Esq at Summary Jurisdiction, Willenhall
Imprisoned: Stafford
Sentence: 1 calendar month in prison and 5 years detention in reformatory
Previous convictions: none
Parents Edward and Emily ABLEY
Treatment by parents: good
Character of parents: good
Wages of parents: 15 shillings [per week]
Parents address: New Invention, Wolverhampton

Thais is all the information given in the register. Hope it helps.

Offline Brummie on Exmoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 January 13 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Dusty:

Thank you SO much, this is just amazingly full and informative. And it is quite clearly my lad.

What is heartening, given that the regime at Saltley was apparently remarkably modern and "humanist", is that John Henry turned out pretty well, though his life was hard. His family moved north to Nottinghamshire after his release, and he seems to have worked all his life in an Iron Foundry in the Stapleford area. He married in 1904 but lost his wife after only 4 years (and I think they also lost 2 children) but he remarried an older lady in 1910, and lived until his early 70s in 1948. He even left a will and a small amount of money.

Thank you again, very much.

Jane
FOSTER; HALL; MOUGHTON; JAMES; STEPHENS; JENNINGS; BLANCHFLOWER; HINDS; ABLEY; WAGGETT; HUTCHINSON; TRICKER; LAMB; MOLESWORTH; SWAN; HARDEN; MAYHEW; COLEMAN; HAMMOND; CROOK; MONNINGTON; TEAGUE; SLATTER; MUNN; WOOLRICH; ASSINDER.

Offline sarah78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Dusty2,

Sorry to ask, but I can see that you have done a number of record searches on the reformatory school. A relative of mine was detained there according to the 1881 census, his name was Charles James aged 15, from Leek, Staffordshire, I would appreciate any information you could find!

thanks,

Sarah

Offline dusty2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 October 13 18:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry, been away.

Charles James (entry 580 in the admissions register) age 13

Whence removed: Stafford
Description: fresh complexion; brown hair; grey eyes; scar on right cheek; good health; able bodied
Admission: 29 Jun 1877 for 5 years
Residence: Leek [looks like Leik but must be Leek!]
Parish: Leek
Work: none
Education: can neither read nor write
Offence: malicious damage
Sentence given: 30 May 1877 by H Brough and A Sleigh Esqs, Leek Petty Sessions
Imprisoned: Stafford
Sentence: 1 calendar month hard labour, 5 years at Saltley
Previous convictions: none
Parents: Joseph and Sarah James, silk workers
Treatment of child by parents: good
Character of parents: honest
Wages earned by parents: 18 shillings per week
Weekly amount parents will pay: 1 shilling
Address: Rudyard, Leek, amended on 8 Dec to 11 Albert Street, Leek
Additional information:
10 Dec 1881 licenced this day to work at Messers Hammersley Iles [difficult to read that last bit], silk dyer, Leek

28 April 1882 very satisfactory report from employer

28 June 1882 C James [sentence?] expires (?  ? discharged)

[The last bit in brackets looks like the letters D and L where the question marks are - no idea what it means - but 'discharged' is clear]

Offline alblol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 October 13 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I am not sure when this posting was begun but I just found family that was detained at Saltley.  I am hoping dusty2 that you or someone else may be able to help me out with info.  I have that 20 Oct 1863 George Harrington was given 14 day sentence and then sent to Saltley.  Dusty2 do you happen to have his record or where I can look it up.  Thanks!