Author Topic: GORML(E)Y // McGONAGLE // BOYLE - Leckpatrick, Strabane, Co. Tyrone  (Read 5794 times)

Offline clairetje88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GORML(E)Y // McGONAGLE // BOYLE - Leckpatrick, Strabane, Co. Tyrone
« on: Saturday 07 January 12 15:46 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother Ann (Annie b. 1903) was eldest daughter of Edward Gorml(e)y and Bridget McGonagle. I know nothing about this Edward Gormley, other than when Bridget died in 1913 in childbirth, the family lived in Artigarvan, Co. Tyrone. They had 5 children: Annie; Rosabella (1904); Jeannie (1905); James (1911) and William (1913). Edward married Bridget in April 1903 and his father was James GORMLEY - farmer
I am in the possession of a very old King James Bible with the following inscription: "A preasant from my sister Mary Ann Gormly. Got it the 24th july 1861. James Gormly".
I think I may have found James and MaryAnn GORMLY living with their parents John and Susan GORMLY in the 1851 and 1861 Scotland Census in Boness, Linlithgowshire (West Lothian)
Does anyone have any ideas about these GORML(E)Ys?

My grandfather Joseph McGONAGLE (Joseph Patrick b. 1894) was born in Drumcondra, Dublin.
His father William and my grandmother Ann's mother Bridget were brother and sister and from the townland of Leckpatrick in Strabane. Their father William and their mother Rose BOYLE were also from the townland of Leckpatrick, Strabane.
Has anyone else come across these McGONAGLES or BOYLES for that matter?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GORML(E)Y // McGONAGLE // BOYLE - Leckpatrick, Strabane, Co. Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
This looks to be Edward Gormley with his uncle, in Artigarvan in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Ballymagorry/Artigarvan/849603/

And in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Ballymagorry/Artigarvan/1753230/

Griffiths Valuation has Rose McGonigle renting a small house in Leckpatrick in 1858. (That the house is in her name suggests she was a widow by that time). It’s plot 4A(a) which appears to be somewhere beside the modern Station Rd.

Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 12 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Will Extracts www.proni.gov.uk:
"Gormley Edward of Milltown Artigarvan county Tyrone farmer died 29 August 1930 Probate Londonderry 18 November to John Briggs farmer. Effects £346 3s. 10d."

Offline clairetje88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 12 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Re: the Census neither entry for 1901 or 1911 is correct I do not think. In both the 1901 and 1911 Census entry this Edward GORMELY is with his uncle James and aunt Jane GORMELY - my Edward's father was James GORML(E)Y.
I know that in 1901 Bridget McGONAGLE lives with her mother Rose and in 1911 she is a boarder with her 4 children with her nephew William McGONAGLE.

Re: Griffith Valuation we think that William McGONIGLE in the Townland of KEENAGHAN in the Parish of Strabane is our William. William and Rose had their youngest daughter Isabella in 1875, so he must still have been alive then.

If anyone has any other ideas for me, please post them. I am really stumped with the GORMLEY line and I know nothing about the BOYLE line either!

Thank you!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 12 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't rule out the census entries for 1901 and 1911 that Elwyn posted earlier. Notice that in 1911 that Edward is listed as married whilst in 1901 he's single- which fits with your Edward.

Offline markinson01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 February 13 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello my grandfather was william gormley, brother of your grandmother annie if i can help
you with any questions regarding the gormley or mc gonagle side please ask and i will try to help.
                                       regards m.

Offline clairetje88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 March 13 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello M.,

I am really excited about your reply! As I said previously I really know very little.
My email address is (*)
Perhaps you'd consider emailing me there and I can explain to you what I know so far.
I am absolutely delighted to have made contact with a member of my family!
Please do email me back.
Claire  :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline glenmornan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 April 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

We swopped a few e-mails over the last couple of years re our McGonagle side, and I think I've now worked out what the situation is. You mention that your William was from the townland of Keenaghan. I now believe that my great great grandfather, Edward McGonagle, was from the nearby townland Silverhill. Griffiths Valuation shows a William and Edward McGonagle as neighbours at Keenaghan, with quite a few acres between them. However, I am inclined to rule that Edward out as being my relative, as when he married he was living with his bride to be's family. He was more likely to have been the one shown in Griffiths at Silverhill with just over an acre.

My Edward married Ann Hegarty from the adjacent townland of Holyhill in 1865, and their eldest son, William Hegarty McGonagle, born 1865, was my great grandfather. William married a Bridget Carrick from Castlefinn, Co. Donegal, in 1895, and my grandfather, Michael McGonagle, was born in Strabane town in 1898 at 6 Factory Row, Strabane. His father, William, was a bread server in Strabane at that time. There does not appear to be any connection with families named Gormley or Boyle.

My Edward McGonagle was still alive in 1911 when he is shown in the Irish Census as living at Drumgauty, north of Strabane near to the Derry Road. His wife, Ann Hegarty, died sometime between 1901 and 1911, and from memory Edward died in 1913, presumably at Drumgauty in County Tyrone.

Hope this explains the issue with our possible McGonagle connection. We do not seem to be related to the same William McGonagle. With all those Williams and Edwards it is a bit of a nightmare, and I'm still not absolutely sure if I have the correct Edward in Griffiths Valuation. To make matters worse I know that Edward's father was yet another William McGonagle!