Author Topic: Deaths in Coldstream :)  (Read 17510 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Deaths in Coldstream :)
« on: Saturday 07 January 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone :)

I've finally moved into the realms of Scotland!

My search hit a bit of a rut when I realised my uneventful search for the deaths was because I was looking in the England and Wales BMD (duh... lol) and was hoping someone else might be able to help me :)

Firstly, we have William BRADY or BRODY, a shoemaker who was born over the border in Cornhill. He moved with his family over to Coldstream and does not appear on the 1841 census. The last child I know about was born 1823. I have no idea when he was born, but he was old enough to father a child in 1799.

Second, his wife, Jane BRADY or BRODY (it all depends on the transcription, I've found... usually the family is found under BRADY) who died between 1851 and 1861, presumably in Coldstream. Her date of birth is between 1781 and 1786, also Cornhill.

I would be very grateful if someone could find these for me, especially since the Brady family is my main interest and I'm chomping at the bit for information!

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths in Coldstream :)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ayashi,

I can find one William Brady dying in Coldstream but he died in 1883 aged 74 so if he is yours he has to be a son?  One tip,if you are on Scotlandspeople Brady brings up Brady and Brodie but Brodie only brings up Brody and Brodie!

Have you found all the children on the census in Coldstream?

Welcome to Scotland!

Barbara

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 12 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that death, it corresponds to the eldest son from this marriage :)

I haven't got round to registering for Scotland's People yet, thanks for the tip :)

I believe so, yes. This marriage has William 1808, Elizabeth 1810 (d.1811), John 1812, James 1816, Helenor 1817, Hannah 1822 and George 1823 and I've been stalking them on census, that's how I found Jane on the 1841 and 1851 and not after. None of these are actually my direct line- naughty William had a little whoops child before his marriage ;) I would like his, obviously, and am creating a fuller picture of what he did with his life while I wait for a breakthrough on the illegitimate mother's side.

Nice to be here! :D

~ Edit ~ I now have Jane's death in 1853 :) William is proving a little more elusive but hopefully not for long!

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 12 23:39 GMT (UK) »
We genealogists are such good stalkers! ;)

How did you get her death in 1853?  I am intrigued. 

Let me know if I can help you further then.  Can't find William snr's death unfortunately on Scotlandspeople in Berwickshire.

Are you descended from the whoopsie? ;D

Barbara

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 12 00:47 GMT (UK) »
The death is under Jane Brady, died 6th Jan 1853 in Coldstream, buried 9th Jan 1853 in Cornhill, I just looked it up normally on Scot's People and it came up :)

Yes, I am indeed! I think it was actually twins since I've got two children for the same year on familysearch (actually, baptised same day with same parents names... but dates of birth a few days out? Anyway, worth looking into...) but so far we've not found the second child anywhere other than familysearch...

Still working on William... he appears very much to be his son's father lol

I can't even find the marriage...  ???

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 12 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh, i thought you hadn't used SP so was surprised you had found it otherwise.  Selkirk Genealogy has published a lot of the deaths and Coldstream is one of them but they aren't online.

What is the name of your ancestor and his/her twin? And is it William and Jane's marriage you can't find?  Have you checked the Coldstream Bridge marriages?

Barbara

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 12 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Had a look a the SGS Berwickshire MI (pre 1855) Vol 1- 2006 reprint  A complete record of whole Coldstream MIs for Lennel Cemetery has still to be done by the local societies (quicker the better before we lose more stones).

In the book Brady and Brodie are mention and may help you

by Philip Trotter - father JohnTrotter d. at castlelaw 21.4.1821 66 yrs, mother Hannah Brady d. at Coldstream 24.8.1843 73 yrs - said Philip Trotter d. at Coldstream 27.3.1847 48yrs

John Cockburn d. at the Hirsel 24.8.1853 71yrs spouse Agnes Wood at the Hirsel ---yrs. Alison Brodie wife of James Cockburn d.in Kelso 14.2.1866 53 yrs, his son William d. in Kelso 27.3.1876 10mths. Mary Ann Scott wife of James Cockburn d. Kelso 1.11.1898 54yrs, above James Cockburn d. at Kelso 1.8.1897 80 yrs

By James Cleland, Veterinary Surgeon, Coldstream wife Helen Brady 16.3.1841 24 yrs. dau Helen 9.7.1837 2mths above James Cleland 30.8.1864 57 yrs. son George 24.6.1856 21 yrs his son James 16.11.1852 5yrs

John Brady d. Patrick 29.2.1876 69yrs 3rd son George d. at Patrick Glasgow 27.10.78 16yrs, wife Elizabeth Glendinning d. at Patrick 25.5.79 49yrs, 4th son James Porteous d.at partickhill 12.8.84 19yrs

Also at Mordington 

Peter Brodie d. 25.6.1759 47yrs & William Brody son to Peter Brody d.22.9.1752 24yrs

Also Swinton

Helen Thomson wife of Andrew Brodie 27.1.18 75yrs above andrew brodie 10.12.1872 87 yrs

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 12 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the confusion, I joined up after I posted here :)

Familysearch also has William Brody b 1799, Cornhill, father William and mother Margaret, whereas Mark was "Mark Brody Brody" (thought that was fishy lol) b 1799 Cornhill, father William and mother "Herd"... other transcripts have cumulated to put the mother as "Todd" and further as Margaret Todd, widow. I admit that it has been in my mind that familysearch has miswritten the entry for William and it is actually another incarnation of Mark's lol.

Yes, William Brady to Jane Scott, prior to first child 1808... I've looked on familysearch (beta and the Durham Bishop Transcripts) and on Scot's People... not sure where else to look at the moment.

Thanks Terianne, I recognise a few of those. I got confused about James Cleland because his marriage was to Helen but his wife on census was Hannah and those were the names of two sisters, but thanks to that death I've got it all straight now lol
John x Elizabeth Glendinning is also mine, so have noted those. Thanks :D

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I think the Coldstream Bridge marriage registers have only survived for the years 1793-7 although sometimes there were entries in the local newspapers.  So that is probably where they married.

Are you sure this is the same William?  Just strange that he had two sons named William, illegitimate or not.  Is it the same address in Cornhill?

Mark is a bit of a strange name for the Borders too unless it is popular on the English side.  These cross border families can be very difficult as you are finding ::)

I have  a Trotter who wandered across to Yetholm but it is very difficult to prove where she came from.  One day I will get down to Berwick and look for her seriously!

Barbara