Author Topic: The County Bridewell, Leicester  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
The County Bridewell, Leicester
« on: Tuesday 10 January 12 10:13 GMT (UK) »
We have been looking at the story of a distant female relative who was hanged in the Leicester in 1825. Popular myth suggested that it was a public execution in Infirmary Square but  according to reports in the newspapers at the time it was carried out at the County Bridewell. I am trying to determine where this institution stood.

So far, I can see that the event happened a few years before the current Welford Road edifice was built. There also appear to be references to two institutions in Leicester at the time: the town bridewell and the county bridewell. There is also mention that at some time the renowned Daniel Lambert was turnkey there.

Does anyone know where the County Bridewell stood?

Many thanks

Alan   
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The County Bridewell, Leicester
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,

There are numerous online references to Leicester County Bridewell but unfortunately none give its address, though there would seem to have been no less than 5 Leicester bridewells

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/leicestershire/34152

The Victoria County History contains the following, which may be of some use.

The chief thoroughfare is High Cross Street, from Sanvey Gate to Peacock Lane, formerly High Street, which was part of the main road north and south during the Middle Ages. (fn. 2) High Cross Street is probably the magnus vicus which is mentioned in two charters of the 12th century dealing with burgage tenements, one probably early in Henry II's reign. (fn. 3) Its more usual name, alta strata, occurs from the beginning of the 14th century. (fn. 4) In this street were some of the more important public buildings, and in it the Wednesday market was held, at the junction with the present High Street. (fn. 5) In the Middle Ages these public buildings consisted of the two prisons belonging to the borough and the county . . .

Regards,

Keith

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keitht

That is most helpful. Now seen a flickr sequence about Highcross Street which probably confirms that.

Many thanks

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Pigot's Directory of Leicestershire 1822, '28, '35

County Gaol - Highcross St, Christopher Musson, Governor
Borough Jail - Highcross St, Welborn Owston, governor
New Bridewell - Oxford St, John Allen, Governor
Borough Bridewell - Freeschool Lane, George Owston, Governor

Borough = County Borough under the old arrangements?

There was an "Old bridewell" but no address given

regards 

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 12 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Greeting’s …Folks ………

County Gaol……Highcross Street. ….

This began from the corner of Freeschool Lane and finish just before High Street
( Was Morgan’s the Locksmith …now a Chinese Take A Way Restaurant.)

Part of the outer wall still can be seen today.
The builder was the famous prison builder  George Money penny
 ;D……Funny enough he became the 1st inmate……… ;D

The building was 1st.built 1712.
The prison opened 1791. as the County Gaol.
It was in use till 1828 when Welford Road Prison opened
It was then taken over by the Borough Gaol and used till 1850 / 60’s

Executions took place from a 1st floor window and were viewed by the public
From the Street.

Hope this helps ?

MIKE.
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Mike

The story we were researching concerns Hannah Packwood who drowned her husband James Read in the canal at Foxton. She was found guilty of the charge of "Petty Treason" (apparently a more heinous version of muder - for wives killing husbands or lesser clerics killing more senior clerics) for which she was hanged and anatomised.

Alan

Offline TeeJayTezza

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
The Bridewell in question was on Oxford St where Infirmary Square is situated....Hannah was hanged in Infirmary Square on Aug 25th 1825...She was 36 years old and the mother of 4 children...Hannah had fallen hopelessly in love with a 19 year old boy named John Waterfield and pushed her husband into the canal at Foxton Bridge...There were fears that she might be pregnant during her trial and was examined by a jury of matrons.They confirmed she wasn`t and was hanged....

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
We actually came upon an interesting twist to that story when we analysed the various reports of the time:

Hannah, born in Foxton in 1789, married James Read and had 4 children. Unfortunately she fell in love with 19 year old John (or Jonathan) Waterfield, and had a child by him. It is rumoured that sometime earlier Hannah had acted as a midwife and had then smothered John (or Jonathan)'s wife and her newborn child. Before their marriage in 1816, James had been away from home fighting for his country in the Nepoleonic war in Spain and, for a short time in the American War, where he was discharged in May 1815 due to wounds received in battle. In civilian life he became a fellmonger and his job sometimes took him away from home. On returning home in 1825 he found out about Hannah's infidelity and went to see Hannah to try to win her back. On 25 April she said she would go back to him if he would walk along Foxton Locks with her. At Stains Bridge she pushed him in and proceeded to keep him in there with a stick until he drowned.

Thomas Waterfield and Elizabeth Thornton were married in Countesthorpe in 1797 and over the next twelve years they produced nine children. They moved to Shearsby sometime after 1812. Adding confusion to this story they named one of their sons (born in 1803) John and another (born in 1810), Jonathan. Jonathan Waterfield eventually married Hannah's eldest daughter and they had several children. John Waterfield moved to Leicester where he married Ann Butler in 1843. The Parish Records note his condition as widower.

Alan

Offline Pckwd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 December 20 10:47 GMT (UK) »