Author Topic: PR's for Withyham, Sussex?  (Read 5284 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PR's for Withyham, Sussex?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 January 12 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Romilly, I'm probably on the right tracks then. I'll post about the records I found later today.

Best wishes HL :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 January 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly,

The records on SFHG for East Grinstead are only from 1662-1812 which doesn't help you :'(

I found a William Pattenden on the 1841 census at East Grinstead with his wife Amelia. He's 55 and is a Lathe Reeder (not sure what that is but that's how it's transcribed)
Amelia is 50 and at the address is also John, Thomas and Caroline.......who is not their child.....see below.

On the 1851 census William and Amelia are still living in East Grinstead. He's now a Brewer and is age 67. Amelia is 60 and at the address is also Thomas 20 and Caroline their 16 year old neice.

Because this William is the only one who is a Lathe Worker, they're probably Mary's parents.
They married in East Grinstead on 21.10.1814. William Pattenden is a bachelor and Amelia Dearling a spinster. The marriage was by banns and they're both of this parish.

Other children for them are all baptised at East Grinstead (found on the IGI)
George Pattenden      13.12.1818.
James Pattenden        22.12.1820.
John Pattenden             1.6. 1823.
Stephen Pattenden        2.8.1825 - 10.2.1826.
Thomas Pattenden        12.9.1830.

The baptism for Mary Pattenden does say 6.1.1828 daughter of William and Mildred.
This could be a problem but I did find a site which was for genealogists and mentioned the nicknames used on censuses being different from the christened names. It said that Milly or Millie was a nickname for Amelia or Mildred, so it does make it plausible that Mildred and Amelia are one and the same....... how do you feel about that?

I found Henry Kenward on the 1841 census and he is a servant in Withyham. I couldn't find Mary Pattenden anywhere in 1841.

I hope this info helps you a little. HL :)
Best wishes HL

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 January 12 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks for all the info Hampshire Lass, - greatly appreciated! :)

I looked up 'Lathe Reeder' on the 'Obscure Census Occupations' Site...and the nearest that I could find was:

'LATH RENDER: (Or RENDERER) Person who puts the first coat of plaster onto laths on walls and ceiling'. If it really is 'Reeder' then it might also be some thing to do with the preparation of reeds for thatching, etc...

Its quite likely that Mary Pattenden was also in Service in some capacity on the 1841. Perhaps that's how she met Henry?

At any rate...the logjam has been cleared...and now I am much further upstream!

Many thanks for your sterling help HL.

All Best Wishes, Romilly. :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 January 12 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Pleasure :D

If you think that William and Amelia are the likely ancestors I've found some more. It all hinges really on how you feel about Mary's mother.... Amelia or Mildred......but she may have been known as Milly, thus the variation in parish records.

Willam Pattenden was christened at East Grinstead 7.5.1786 son of John and Elizabeth.
Then he was buried at East Grinstead on 2.4.1852 age 66.

In the marriage record  for Mary in 1843 he was a Lathe Worker.
In 1841 it appears to say Lathe Reeder.  His wife was definitely Amelia.
In 1851 he is a Brewer, still living in East Grinstead with wife Amelia who is 60  and born in Horne Surrey.
He dies in 1852 and in 1861 I've found Amelia Pattenden living in, I believe, the workhouse in East Grinstead. She say's she's a Carpenters Widow age 67, born in Horne Surrey.

Horne, although in Surrey, is a village a little north of East Grinstead. I can't find a baptism or burial for her yet.

There are a few discrepancies but that seems par for the course in family research sometimes. HL  :)
Best wishes HL

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 January 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »

Oh dear...how sad to hear that Amelia ended up in the Workhouse:-(

It does all seem to tie in though, and I'm fairly convinced that this is the right family. I'm sure that I would never have managed to find them by myself, and so many, many thanks for all of your help.

Best Wishes, Romilly. :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 January 12 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it is always sad to find that. I looked again at the census because I wasn't sure but it does say inmate of Sackville College, East Grinstead. I googled that and Wikipedia has a lot of info plus a picture, which is interesting.

Found a bit more.....
The parents of William Pattenden 1786-1852 were John and Elizabeth, as I said.
John Pattenden married Elizabeth Gower at East Grinstead on 30.10.1774

Their children were all christened at East Grinstead:-
Elizabeth  30.10.1774 (She was born 22.10.1774 and christened the day they married )
John                  1776
Ann           20.9.1778
Mary         15.4.1781
Thomas     23.11.1783
Jeremiah      5.3.1785
WILLIAM       7.5.1786
Edward       12.10.1788
Henry           6.3.1791
Charlotte        4.5.1794
Jane               21.8.1796
Susan             21.10.1798

Best wishes HL

Best wishes HL

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 January 12 17:11 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks Hampshire Lass.

I will print all of this off and take time to digest...

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 January 12 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Romilly,

The full entry for Mary Pattenden, christened at St Swithuns on 6th January 1828:

Mary, daughter of William and Mildred Pattenden. Abode East Grinstead. Father's occupation Farmer.

A couple of burials you may be interested in:

Entry No.582
John Pattenden, buried St Swithuns on 6th April 1823, aged 70. Abode Hedge Court (East Grinstead).

Entry No.1447
Elizabeth Pattenden, buried in St Swithuns 2nd April 1838, aged 81. Abode Horne.

The East Grinstead (St Swithuns) burials from 1830 to 1840 are on the Sussex OPC site. There are 8 Pattenden and 4 Kenward entries.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 January 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this helps, but using HL's list:

13th December 1818, christening of George, son of William and Amelia Pattenden. Abode Felbridge. Father's occupation Labourer.

22nd December 1820, James: this one is eluding me at the moment.

1st June 1823, christening of John, son of William and Amelia Pattenden. Abode East Grinstead. Father's occupation Farmer.

21st August 1825, christening of Stephen, son of William and Emily Pattenden. Abode East Grinstead. Father's occupation Labourer.

I can't do any more at the moment, as I've got to go up to Victoria to pick up No.1 daughter. As soon as I get a chance I'll have another look for James and see if I've got Thomas.

Phil

Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk