Author Topic: St. Marks Churchyard Cheetham Hill, Manchester  (Read 13537 times)

Offline Babling Brook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Marks Churchyard Cheetham Hill, Manchester
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 November 13 18:05 GMT (UK) »
It's just dawned on me maybe Saint Mark's will suffer the same fate as Cheetham Hill Wesleyan Cemetery.I had/have family members in both, so just to remind the relevant authorities and put it on record that they both had/have historical notables, who I'm sure they would like to celebrate,here's a couple I didn't know till recently.

Rev. Charles Ethelston 1740 - 1795 founder of one of the first Sunday/day schools in Manchester...1777... Saint Paul,Turner Street/Tib Street (buried Saint Mark's), his son Charles Wickstead Ethelston, reader of The Riot Act at Peterloo and also the Vicar of Saint Mark's buried there in 1830.There are many more of course and I don't think it would be overstating the case to suggest that Saint Mark's is indeed important.

All this info came from Manchester Libraries,National Archives and "Manchester Streets and Manchester Men".. Thomas Swindells and hopefully correct  :)

BB

Offline Martin Gittins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 02 March 19 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm pleased to report that a clearance of the graveyard is planned and following that a full survey will be carried out and all graves indexed and their inscriptions recorded. We hope to be able to arrange access for those people researching their ancestors. Facebook Group 'Friends Of St Mark's Cheetham' will be launched very soon.

Offline Martin Gittins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 02 March 19 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Check out 'Friends of St Mark's Cheetham' Facebook Group.

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 02 March 19 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Great initiative Martin. Wish you and your group every success.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 02 March 19 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Good project to get done Martin before all is lost
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones