Author Topic: Descendents of James Macdonald of Knockowe, Skye ~ Roderick McDonald  (Read 3724 times)

Offline SANTUDM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendents of James Macdonald of Knockowe, Skye ~ Roderick McDonald
« on: Friday 13 January 12 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information of descendents of James Macdonald of Knockowe and his wife Margaret MacLeod of Balliemeanoch, Skye. James was a son of Alexander Macdonald, 6th of Kingsburgh, and brother of Allan Macdonald, 7th of Kingburgh, Skye.
I am descended from Roderick McDonald and his wife Elspeth née McDonald who married at Inverness in 1779, and later moved to Banffshire in 1784, possibly with the Berwick Fishing Co.
I think Roderick could have been a son of the aforementioned James Macdonald of Knockowe.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Santiago

Offline wmcdonald19751975

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Descendents of James Macdonald of Knockowe, Skye ~ Roderick McDonald
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 21 00:43 BST (UK) »
Another scenario for this mysterious profile.

Feel free to contact me on Whatsapp  (*) by email (*). My details are on My Heritage and Ancestry. 

See detailed scenario below

Roderick Macdonald c1750 is the earliest trace of our MacDonald relatives. It is believed that an earlier generation fled under dubious circumstances from North Uist and settled in Rodel Harris where they had a Change House. Certainly in a tax assessment of 1798 there is a widow MacDonald in Rodel paying tax on a house with nine windows, which would have been the Inn. These Macdonald's who fled from North Uist were referred to in Harris as "na Stailcearan" - stalkers. In the Celtic Magazine of 1880 page 423 in a history of the MacDonalds there is a story about the stalkers written by "MacIain" a son of John Morrison "Gobha na Hearadh" - blacksmith of Harris. Gilleasbuig Dhubh became chief of the North Uist MacDonalds by murdering his two brothers. Despite this he brought up his two nephews. When the sons grew up one of them killed Gilleasbuig Dhubh while out deer stalking. His cousin and the attendant deerstalkers witnessed this act.  One of the stalkers took the murderer aside and suggested it would be wise to kill his cousin too so as to ensure his chieftainship.  When his advice was dismissed the stalker felt it prudent to flee North Uist to escape the wrath of the cousin who had overheard the suggestion. However Harris historians relate that he arrived in Harris with sufficient money to purchase the lease of a farm which the writer suggests may have been given as a reward for his loyalty to the killer.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Boreades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Descendents of James Macdonald of Knockowe, Skye ~ Roderick McDonald
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 24 20:52 BST (UK) »
Alexander Macdonald, 6th of Kingsburgh
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/MacDonald-2101

Offline Boreades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile