Author Topic: BARROW family from Tasmania.  (Read 4674 times)

Offline alexine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BARROW family from Tasmania.
« on: Saturday 14 January 12 01:47 GMT (UK) »
am looking fior information on my Barrow ancestors ,I know they first lived at port Philip ,Melbourne
when they arrived from uk.abt.1853. Mainyl samuel and Sarah Barrow. so time later they went to Tasmania
where Samuel worked at the mine at Mathinna.where my grandfather and siblings were born.Living in NZ does
make it hard to find out more , can anyone help!

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: barrow family from tasmania.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 12 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Many here will be pleased to try to help.
BUT
You will need to give more information.

Do you know the parents' names of either? (SARAH's maiden name?)

When and where were they married?

What were the names of their children and birthdates (including your grandfather)?

Why do you think 1853 arrival seems likely?

Any other dates and events you can think of?

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 12 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexine,

Why do you think that the family lived in Victoria before Tasmania?  There is an arrival for a BARROW family into Tasmania on the Ocean Chief in 1855 - Samuel, 32, a bricklayer, born Middlesex, Sarah, 31, born Norfolk, Sarah, 5, William, 3, both children born in Middlesex.  The Ocean Chief came directly from Liverpool to Tasmania.  Would this be them?

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 12 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexine,

I don't see any children born in Tasmania to Samuel and Sarah, and it looks like they had their children before emigrating.

Samuel BARROW married Sarah BULLEN in 1844 in the C of E parish church at Bow, Middlesex.  Samuel's father is Samuel BARROW and Sarah's father is John BULLEN (Brewer?)  I can't make out Samuel Snr's occupation - do you know?

I can see them on the 1851 census:

Samuel BARROW, 29, labourer, born Stepney, Middlesex
Sarah, 29, born Holt, Norfolk
Samuel, 6,
Sarah, 3
William, 7 months?

William BARROW, 25, brother, Mariner, born Stepney, Middlesex
Deborah BULLEN, 21, visitor, born Holt, Middlesex
(both unmarried)

The Ocean Chief sailed directly from Liverpool to Hobart and did not go to Victoria.  The BARROWS were assisted immigrants and were sponsored by William GIBSON of Hobart.

Also onboard was William BULLEN, 28, butcher, born Norfolk, Susan, 26, born Norfolk, Lucy, 10 months.  Sarah's brother perhaps?

If you know that son Samuel also emigrated at some stage, perhaps it was him who went to Victoria?

Debra  :)

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
Re: BARROW family from Tasmania.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 12 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexine,

Buried at Cornelian Bay Cemetery Hobart are Samuel and Sarah Barrow.Not sure if they are your Barrow`s.

Sarah Barrow died 6th January 1892 and is buried Church of England, section V,grave No.260.Buried with her is Samuel Barrow who died in Launceston 26th January 1893.
Sarah and Samuel lived at Landsdowne now called West Hobart.
Obituary for Sarah.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12733930?

Obituary for Samuel.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13284110?

Here is a marraige notice for a son of Samuel Barrow`s.Frederick Barrow second son of Samuel to Flora Pain on the 30th September 1902.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9589346

I checked your other posts and noticed you have Frederick and Flora Barrow as your Grandparents.

Just click onto the links for the Obituarys and Marraige notice,you may have to scroll down the notices to find them.

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 12 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexine,

I don't know if you have seen this website, but it appears to be a bit of nonsense.
http://www.geocities.ws/jrd_mallett/Brooks.htm

He says:

"When the family emigrated Samuel and Susan travelled with their two younger children. The James Baines departed Liverpool on the 9th of December 1854 and arrived in Port Philip, Melbourne on the 12th of February 1855. Samuel is described as a Bricklayer on the documents relating to the voyage."

I can find no BARROW family on the James Baines in 1855 or in any year.  Can anyone else?  This should say "Sarah", not Susan.

"Samuel John Junior appears to have followed the rest of the family to Australia in 1855 aboard the ship Ocean Chief. The second cholera outbreak may have been sufficient to convince him of the merits of emigration."

Samuel Junior was born around 1845 so not only was he not on the Ocean Chief in 1855, but at 10 years old I don't think he would have been making any decisions about his future or the merits of emigration.

"According to Samuel John Junior’s obituary, his parents stayed at Woods Point, Victoria for a time before the relocation to Tasmania."

This would have likely been Samuel Junior himself as he did not emigrate to Tasmania with the rest of the family.

"Samuel Junior spent sometime in Queensland and it was there that he married his wife Susannah Nuttle in 1869. He too had moved to Mathinna by 1871."

While I can see Samuel and Susannah having children in Tasmania from 1871 onwards, I can see no marriage anywhere in Australia including Queensland.  Can anyone else?

I think he is getting his generations and stories mixed up.  If I were you I would contact him and ask for more information on the immigration records and the Queensland marriage.

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 January 12 08:32 GMT (UK) »

"When the family emigrated Samuel and Susan travelled with their two younger children. The James Baines departed Liverpool on the 9th of December 1854 and arrived in Port Philip, Melbourne on the 12th of February 1855. Samuel is described as a Bricklayer on the documents relating to the voyage."

I can find no BARROW family on the James Baines in 1855 or in any year.  Can anyone else? 

Debra,

This might solve the problem with the two ships being mentioned  :D

James Baines 12 Feb 1855 - Arrived Hobson's Bay, Melbourne from Liverpool, 322 immigrants continued onto Hobart arriving 19 Feb 1855 on the Indian Queen and the Ocean Chief.

Sources:
Ian Pearce & Clare Cowling - Guide To The Public Records Of Tasmania, Section Four, Free Immigration, Archives Office of Tasmania, 1975, p97.
Newspaper report The Courier Tuesday 20 Feb 1855, p2.

The Ocean Chief picked up 129 James Baines immigrants to Melbourne from Liverpool, arriving in Hobart 25 Mar 1855.

Sources:
Ian Pearce & Clare Cowling - Guide To The Public Records Of Tasmania, Section Four, Free Immigration, Archives Office of Tasmania, 1975, p98.

http://www.linc.tas.gov.au/tasmaniasheritage/search/guides/freeimmigration

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 12 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Ah, thank you Merlin, but you would think they would show up on the Vic indexes even if it was only a brief stop.  ::)

Offline CassieT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I don't know anything about the Barrow family that arrived in Victoria in 1853, but my grandmother, her sister and parents moved to Tasmania from England around 1950 (ish, I'm estimating). Their last name was Barrow. Maybe the Barrow family in Tas that you are thinking of is this family, not descendants from the Barrows in Melbourne?
I can ask my grandmother for more info, if this new information means anything to you.

Hope it helps :)