Author Topic: Johnstone death notices - puzzle solved  (Read 4329 times)

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Johnstone death notices - puzzle solved
« on: Sunday 15 January 12 21:26 GMT (UK) »

Robert Anthony Howison JOHNSTONE born 08/08/1947, Rugby, Warwickshire . Died 2nd February 2011 in Reading, Berkshire. Buried In Bradfield-South-End, Berks. At rest with his eldest child Corrie, who died 30 Oct 2010.

Son of Major Douglas Howison Johnstone , born India 1910 and Barbara Olive (nee BRETT ).
Grandson of Edward Howison Johnstone Esq- Siam Forestry Commission Born India & Frances Anne (Effie) (nee BAKER)
G-Grandson of Major Mathew Fox Johnstone , Born S'Ireland: moved to India in 1857: of R.H.A and other regiments in India until his death in 1905 and Rebecca ( nee Wheeler ).
G-G-Grandson of Robert Andrew Johnstone Esq and Grace
G-G-G Grandson of Robert Johnstone Snr and Emilia (nee Fox, dau of Mathew Fox Of Suntown.
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline MarilynWendy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johnstone death notices - puzzle solved
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
Back in 2005 someone was looking for some Fox Johnstone family photos including of Major Matthew Fox Johnstone. I do have a couple of him in old age if anyone is still interested. In old age he married my great-great aunt, Sarah Anne (nee Williams), in 1903 in Landour, India. I have a very sweet wedding photo of them both.

Offline MarilynWendy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johnstone death notices - puzzle solved
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 12 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemma, Thank you for your recent reply to my message about Matthew Fox Johnstone. As I said he married my great great aunt Sarah late in life. She had never married before and I guess that his wife must have died. I have two photos of him with Sally. One is the Christmas card that you have probably seen on the internet (my cousin put one there) and another one at Sally's school which is rather quaint. He is sitting down reading a paper, she stands looking over his shoulder, nearby a teacher with three of the pupils sitting under a tree. A posed photo but rather a nice one. If you are interested in either of them I can scan at a higher density. Thank you for your offer of helping with my family research. The family member that I am most interested in now is Cecil Morton Burton, son of Major Charles Burton who was murdered in 1857 at Kotah. I think Cecil might have been injured around then and I have lost track of him afterwards. I know he died around 1884 or so. Good luck with your research - this is a very absorbing hobby, isn't it? Kind regards, Marilyn