Author Topic: Sir Walter Scott Australian Connection  (Read 8555 times)

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sir Walter Scott Australian Connection
« on: Monday 16 January 12 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello my grandmothers mother Margaret Findlay was born 11/3/1879 in Jedburgh Roxburghshire Scotland and died 1965 in Australia. She was the daughter of Andrew Findlay a tailor (B 20/4/1851 Banffshire Scotland died 1906 in an asylum in Australia) and Janet Scott a dressmaker (B 1855 St Ninians Stirling). They married in Jedburgh Scotland 1875. Janet Scott B 1855 was the daughter of Andrew Scott (commercial traveller) B 1817-18 and Hannah Potts B 1823 married 1848 (who died when Janet was 3 on 21/2/1857). Andrew scott remarried a Margaret Scott in 1848 in Jedburgh Scotland. Family lore is that Margaret Findlay (nee Scott) was related to Sir Walter Scott. This being possible from all parents - father Andrew Scott and mother Margaret Scott and/or stepmother Hannah Potts (so the story goes). Can anyone help me sort this out? Kind Regards Sandra from Australia
PS I have Andrew Findlays death certificate 1906 Australia and Marriage Certificate (16/7/1875 district of Jedburgh) and census records from Roxburgh 1851 18 Dorwechi Place /1861 9 Market Place

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Walter Scott Australian Connection
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 12 12:13 GMT (UK) »
There is some information here :-

http://www.scottsabbotsford.co.uk/history/the-descendants-of-sir-walter-scott

and

http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofscottfa00leehiala/historyofscottfa00leehiala_djvu.txt

Regards

Malky (Going to have a closer look at this one later, just for curiosity)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 12 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Be very careful - more than one Sir Walter Scott in the Scottish Borders

For example one is the Writer & also there's at least one member of the Scott Family of Ancrum, Nr Jedburgh

When looking at the records in the Scottish Borders don't assumed a connection you must check your sources because their could be many in the same or associated family with the same names.

you must check the dates/locations and other links carefully

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank- you kindly I have searched everywhere I can on the internet? It is the poet that my great grandmother Margaret Findlay (nee Scott) said she was related to?

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if this seems like an unusual question? But did Sir Walter Scott have any connection with any of the Earls of Dudley? Kind regards Sandra Tamburini
PS It might or may not be related but a great uncle of mine with the surname of Bentley sold his claim to something to do with this title (Earl of Dudley) some yrs ago? This Bentley was the eldest son of Margaret Bentley(nee Scott) the daughter of Margaret Findlay (nee Scott) and a John Bentley (Australia)? PS Hope I make sense?

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Just did a little digging and found the name of my Great Uncle it was William John Bentley who was born 1912 in Sydney and died 9/9/1985 in Western Australia he was the eldest child of John Bentley B 1869 in Katoomba (Stuart Town) NSW Australia and died 25/6/1943 and Margaret Bentley (nee Findlay).
Margaret Bentley (nee Findlay) was the eldest child of Janet Findlay B 1855 (nee Scott) and Andrew Findlay B 1851 who married in Jedburgh Scotland 1875. Andrew migrated to Australia from Scotland around 1885 (first to Queensland for two years then to Sydney NSW for 19 yrs). I have taken this info from Andrew Findlay and John Bentleys death certificates here in Australia?

Margaret Bentley (nee Findlay) was a schoolteacher in Australia and knew many languages  - maybe unusual for a woman in those days?

PS If the Earl of Dudley does not have anything to do with Sir Walter Scott (the poet), this line of questioning may belong in another post? My apologies if this is the case!

Any help appreciated!

PS This from http://www.gympiefhs.egympie.com.au/Members%20Interests/Joe%20Ashford.htm

"FINDLAY Line
Joseph Stanley ASHFORD > Joyce Edna FINDLAY > Andrew FINDLAY (immigrant) > Alexander FINDLAY > James FINDLAY.

This line comes from the county Aberdeen Scotland.  Andrew Findlay a farm labourer departed London on the 5th June 1886. on the ship "Dacca", arriving at Townsville, Australia on the 23rd. July 1886.  Andrew came to Australia on an assisted passage, and had to work for two years for Maurylean Sugar Co. Townsville as payment for his passage".

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Found this in
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp 

Janet scott born 5 Feb 1855 Jedburgh Roxburgh Scotland to Andrew Scott and Hannah Potts

Andrew Scott married Hannah Potts 26/DEC 1848 Jedburgh Roxburgh Scotland

Margaret scott born 22 March 1853 to Andrew scott and Hannah potts
William Robert scott born 12 May 1851 Jedburgh to Andrew Scott and Hannah Potts
Janet Scott born 5 Feb 1855 Jedburgh to Andrew Scott and Hannah Potts

Andrew Scott married Margaret Anne Scott 2 Dec 1850 Melrose Roxburgh Scotland

A Andrew scott was born 21,June 1818 Kelso Roxburgh to James Scott and Rachel Tait
Or 23 Aug 1816 to Adam Scott and Isabell Bell

A Margaret Scott died  April 1812 Roxburgh

Interestingly Andrew Scotts second wife was also a Scott! It is from this line I think the Sir Walter Scott connection could be from? My mother said her grandmother always said she was a Scott even before Andrew Findlay married? She may not have known that her mother (Margaret Anne Scott) was actually her step-mother? Regards Sandra (Australia)

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Also Andrew Scott remarried before his first wife's death (Hannah Potts died 21/2/1857) He married Margaret Anne Scott 1850!

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Sir Walter Scott, 1771 to 1832. Burkes Peerage shows his family.

http://thepeerage.com/p6060.htm#i60592

The rest of the Scotts are here :-

http://thepeerage.com/i2555.htm#s39303

You can also search the double barrel named Scotts here:-

http://thepeerage.com/surname_index_S.htm

Regards

Malky