Author Topic: PETHICK  (Read 2021 times)

Offline jaybeedee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PETHICK
« on: Monday 16 January 12 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking for someone working on the Pethick Family.
I'm particularly interested in what happened to Kathleen Annie Pethick, born 1896, mother may have been Annie, father Nicholas Pearse Pethick, Wine Merchant, who may have died in London in 1897. Kathleen married Arthur Pomeroy in 1919 in Chelsea. The family may have originated in Portsmouth. After their marriage Arthur and Kathleen seem to have vanished.
Anyone following this branch of the Pethicks, please get in touch.

Offline jaybeedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PETHICK
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 13 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have been researching the Pomeroy line. Katherine Pethick (Pomeroy) and husband Arthur Jobbins Pomeroy moved around a lot. Here is a summary:-
Arthur William Jobbins Pomeroy, born in India in 1891. After education in England and USA he took employment in the Colonial Service as a biologist in Nigeria and the then Gold Coast 1914 - 1931. During the First World War he saw service with the Nigerian Regiment in the Cameroons and in Dar es Salaam. There he was involved in a successful anti-mosquito campaign for which he was awarded a Military MBE. Married Katherine in 1919, and she accompanied him to Ghana. In 1931 he left Africa to live in Jamaica where he ran a market garden until his death in 1956. During WW2 he returned to England where we believe he served with the Royal Engineers, possibly attaining the rank of Major, but we have no confirmation of this.

Katherine had 2 children both born in UK, *, and *. They accompanied her to Ghana and Jamaica, there * married someone called Moseley (no further details) while * ran a Flower Shop and later became involved in a Pomeroy's Department Store, Kingston. Katherine became something of a celebrety, publishing a book on Gardening in the Tropics. She survived her husband and presumably died in Jamaica.
There is a lot more. If you are interested please contact me direct at  (*).  John

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

* Moderator Comment- recent family details removed

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 March 13 11:30 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 census
Kathleen A Pethick born 1896 Pimlico,London - aged 5 - daughter - in Clapham in census...
you may find out if her mother is Annie from that census return ?

Annie Pethick aged 48 Head - in Clapham 1901 census ...seems a little old to be Kathleens mum...born 1853

Yes ...I think Jay is right
1893 mar qtr Nicholas Pearce Pethick - Annie Isabel Atkinson ...so Annie would have been 39 -40 ...lets see if she is on birth 1853
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 13 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh the little fibber
born sept qtr 1851 - Annie Isabel Atkinson ......Kensington  3  421
so Annie was 41 when she married Nicholas Pearce Pethick
and 45 when she had Kathleen A Pethick ...seems old ...but very possible

it looks like Nicholas was born Pearce ( No birth for a Nicholas P Pethick ...only a Nicholas Frank Pethick...
I think this is his mothers marriage
Dec qtr 1843  Thomas Pethick to Jane Pearce ...   Launceston  9  169 ( Cornwall )
and a possible birth for Nicholas  ....sep qtr 1843 Nicholas Pearce  Bodmin  9 47 ( Cornwall )

any one any ideas on this ??......
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jaybeedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 April 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
This post has been messed up by the moderator.

I am not the author of the post beginning "Looking for someone working on the Pethick family". The original author seems to be lost now.

My post starting "I have been researching the Pomeroy..." was in reply to the first. Can anyone find out who was the original author of the first post so that they can be contacted as requested?

jaybeedee