Author Topic: census, birth, death lookup in West Lothian  (Read 3585 times)

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
census, birth, death lookup in West Lothian
« on: Tuesday 17 January 12 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I am hitting a brick wall with this one.

On IGI I have found 2 baptisms. Charles Corrie Sheehan bpt 14/05/1844 Bo'ness and Alfred Ernest Sheehan bpt 16/11/1846. parents John Sheehan and Anne Bates.
I am trying to tie this couple as the parents of a Richard Shean on the 1851 census of Bo'ness. John and Anne should be born in Ireland, John born about 1791, Ann about 1816. John should be a customs Officer in Bo'ness and they should both have died before 1863. (decalred dead on Richards marriage certificate).

I cannot find any of them on any census, BMD records that I have access to. I would really appreciate if anyone could look up the 1851/1861 census and the birth record of the children and the deaths of John and Anne.

If anyone can help, thank you so much

Frances

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: census, birth, death lookup in West Lothian
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 13:39 GMT (UK) »
SP:
baptism:14/05/1844
SHEEHAN  CHARLES CORRY
JOHN SHEEHAN/ANN BATES
BO'NESS  /WEST LOTHIAN

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
16/11/1846
SHEEHAN   ALFRED ERNEST
JOHN SHEEHAN/ANNE BATES
BO'NESS /WEST LOTHIAN

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Diddy, where did this info come from so I can tick a source.

Frances

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 14:22 GMT (UK) »
scotlands people hold all scottish records /census and PRs back to about 1560's. it is a pay to view site but the indexes are free and records can be downloaded/printed.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Diddy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Diddy, where did this info come from so I can tick a source.

Beware, Frances, neither the IGI nor the SP index is a 'source'. Both of them are indexes; you can't 'tick a source' if all you have seen is the index entry.

There are two reasons for always looking at the original of anything you find online or in an index.

First, the original source often contains more information than the entry in the index.

Second, if you look at the original yourself, you can be sure that any errors are your own, and not someone else's.

The IGI in particular contains a lot of information from very dubious sources. Test this statement by putting 'Odin' in the first name box, selecting 'Sweden' as the country and searching. Also, if an IGI entry is 'submitted', you have to doubt it unless and until you have seen the original.

Anything in the IGI which contains the word 'of' or the word 'about' can fairly safely be ignored as being either guesswork or wishful thinking.

Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk has digital images of the originals of all the main birth, marriage and death records in Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 21:47 GMT (UK) »
as i said.....

Diddy

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, I am going onto 'scotsland people',

I have progressed, Richards marriage certificate has his mother Ann Sheehan, nee Bates. So it is the right John and Anne.

When they moved to Bo'ness they left the 2 younger children behind, with a neighbour, which seems quite strange.
They took Richard with them but at the age of 10 he was also living with another family in Bo'ness. Still lots of children plenty to spread around. One of the  children left behind is my great grandfather, hence the interest. John  is down as Comptroller of Customs at Bo'ness.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Frances, just adding your previous post link for the family for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,556385.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk