Author Topic: Family of John Lincoln MacGregor and Maude Hill  (Read 1159 times)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of John Lincoln MacGregor and Maude Hill
« on: Tuesday 17 January 12 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone look up a deaath for John MacGregor in Vancouver??
Thee are 2 deaths and they could both possibly be the ones I'm trying to find. 
The deaths are for John MacGregor:-
Died: 6 August 1963 aged 78 &
Died: 20 Jan 1957 aged 72

I am happy to pay for the certificates. 

John was my Great Uncle and his parents were Alexander MacGregor and Jane MacDonald.  He was born in Dufftwon, Banffshire in 1883 although his marriage cert show him being born in 1885.  He was married to Maude Hill.

Evelyn ::)

Can anyone help with finding births for Mildred and Marguerite MacGregor?  Their parents were married in Vancouver in 1916.
Mildred was living in Calgary time of Father's death in 1971 and Marguerite was living in Montreal. Mildred was married to A. G. Hall and Marguerite was married to Charles Gulland.

Evelyn  :)

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 00:19 GMT (UK) »
On checking Familysearch https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://www.familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1538285 it does not appear either record matches the parent's names and/or spouse. I can't find any other names in the index that do either.

Further, a death record for wife Maude does not appear when using her parents names. Maybe they moved out of province.

I can pick up any records that you find but think the ones you mentioned do not match.

John

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 01:39 GMT (UK) »
It isn't necessary to start a new thread when looking for members of the same family even in-laws. You can always modify your title to include a new name.
The other thread for Emily Hill contains information that people may duplicate. If you do start new threads, you can post the other thread for people to see.
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,575788.0.html

If you go to
www.familysearch.org

you can look for all the surnames to see what you can match, go to the USA/Canada/Mexico, click on Canada. It gives you all the sites that you can search on Family Search

You will find that a lot of names will be missing as many registrations didn't take place for many reasons. People were constantly on the move, etc.

I don't think all the families stayed in Vancouver as I haven't been able to find anything on them in City directories, cemeteries, etc. I also checked the 1911 census for John Mac/McGregor and didn't find anything conclusive. I also checked the Attestation Papers for CEF for World War I and again nothing.  In your other thread you thought it possible that they may have moved to South Africa. If you go to that board and check the resources, you may find a link to passenger lists. I would also check with the Vancouver Library to see if they may have a resource for outgoing passenger lists. Most libraries do have an "Ask a Librarian" section so I would try that.
Also, there are some family trees on ancestry that you may want to look at for the Hill family. Some libraries also subscribe so I would see if your local library subscribes to save on the cost.

I did find another possible sibling of Emily Hill. On the 1911 census, there was a sister listed born 1891 but I couldn't make out the name.
Family Search has a marriage in 1916 between an Olive Lavina Hill and David Williams. Her parents are the same as Emily and Maud. She states that she was born in Toronto.
You can search the census information for 1901 and 1911 at
http://automatedgenealogy.com
the 1881 and 1891 census at
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html
At both sites you can look for transcriptions and also view the original documents.
You can search for passenger lists at the above site as well as
www.ancestorsonboard.com
If you do a search at the collections canada site, you should be able to find city directories for both Toronto and Vancouver.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 19:36 GMT (UK) »
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,576318.new.html#new

On the South Africa board
It appears that you have found the deaths of John L. and Maude in Calgary. That would make sense as he worked for the CPR at one point.

You can check the Henderson's City Directories Calgary up to 1953 to see if he is listed. If you do an internet search, the site will pop up.

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Valerie

I've only just read the replies and I can't thank you enough and everyone else.  Obviously, the South Africa bit was completely wrong.

I am deeply indebted to you and all who helped me find the missing link to my MacGregor family.  John was my Grandmother's younger brother and my middle name is also MacGregor.

Deepest thanks

Evelyn

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
You should be able to get an obituary either through the Calgary Herald or the library. That may lead you to living relatives. Good luck in your search.